Dmitry

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:59 AM, Dan Gould said:

I saw this listed on the schedule of one of the movie channels we have and something triggered in my mind and I was sure I saw it as a kid in the theater and probably not once since. Also was sure I really liked the movie.  Should have DVR'd it but maybe it will pop up again.

I managed to watch My Name Is Nobody with it ending about an hour before our power went out for the duration from Irma's effects. Definitely as amusing and entertaining as I remembered as a kid. :tup

On 9/15/2017 at 5:17 AM, Dan Gould said:

I managed to watch My Name Is Nobody with it ending about an hour before our power went out for the duration from Irma's effects. Definitely as amusing and entertaining as I remembered as a kid. :tup

Some of the movies mentioned here have been lingering in my Netflix list for a loooong time.  I have bumped a few of them up the list and recently watched My Name Is Nobody.  Good movie which should appeal to folks who like traditional Westerns, yet also have a sense of humor.  It's a good mix of drama with comedic elements, but it's not a satire of Westerns.  Henry Fonda was good as always.

Incredibly underrated, IMO. 

The gun fight towards the end is one of the most realistic and gripping gunfights ever filmed. I love how they went without music for it. Really kind of brought you into the middle of it. 

I wish they'd release a proper Blu-ray version. Even though the DVD version looks almost as stunning as Blu-ray. 

I watched THE SEARCHERS. One thing for sure, a movie like this wouldn't have been made today...not PC is an understatement. Cinematography was beautiful, the Monument Valley setting was magnificent. The plot was good, some innuendos here and there, no major holes in the editing, script was good, I felt the empathy towards the protagonists. The historical setting of the settlers vs. the tribes is nothing new, and the gory violence on all sides was depicted honestly. One thing that constantly made me chuckle is that Wayne's character and his nephew were fighting the Comanches with just the Colt revolvers, while the Comanches had Winchesters. Other than that, a great film, thanks for recommending it. The Blue Ray transfer is excellent!

On 14/09/2017 at 5:15 AM, Scott Dolan said:

Annette Bening was just dazzling in that one! 

And Bobby Duval? C'mon... Best actor of all time, IMO. 

And some of the best cinematography I've ever seen. 

Open Range is an excellent western that holds its own against the classics of the genre.

It's one film I'd love to see on a big screen.

For me it's better than either Dances With Wolves or Wyatt Earp.

Edited by kinuta

The remake makes no sense at all. It lacks ANY of the regret at the gunfighter's life that flowed through the original, and as big a fan as I am of diversity as an ideal, it's just down-right ridiculous in this thing.

"The Searchers" is my favorite Western, though the original "Magnificent Seven" does come close. Like "Josey Wales" and "Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" too. Also, nobody has mentioned "The Wild Bunch," have they? I think that is a great movie.

gregmo

10 hours ago, kinuta said:

Open Range is an excellent western that holds its own against the classics of the genre.

It's one film I'd love to see on a big screen.

For me it's better than either Dances With Wolves or Wyatt Earp.

You know, I'm certainly willing to entertain that opinion. 

Now, if I had to choose only one it would still be Wyatt Earp. But it would be a tough choice. 

Dances With Wolves had the superior musical score, hands down. 

And that final gunfight in Open Range is the best ever committed to film. And arguably the best cinematography of the three. 

Three incredibly well done movies. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

I found some cheap used Western DVDs at Rasputin's last week. The Magnificent Seven (orig. version) was one of them.  Also Shane (a favorite of mine) The Train Robbers (a pedestrian John Wayne movie with a thin plot stretched out to feature length by including lots of long shots of the stars' doubles riding on their journey followed by long shots of their pursuers riding after them; the movie does have a twist ending, but otherwise it is very forgettable), The Shootist (which I saw years ago and don't remember much about) and based on the praise it has had here, Open Range (I'd never even heard of it before).  Now when am I gonna find time to watch all of them\?

Just watched a very funny Western comedy:

MV5BZjQ4YjBjNjQtN2U3MS00YjIyLWE1Y2ItNWY1

James Garner is his usual cool, easy-going, charming self.  The script did a good job at weaving together the different plot lines, but the ,movie is helped immeasurably by the perfect cast of veteran character actors.  Not mentioned on the poster above but playing a key comedic role was Ellen Corby and there's even a brief role for Pedro Gonzalez-Gonzalez.  I don't often literally LOL at a movie, but I did for this one. I'd seen James Garner in Support Your Local Sheriff before, but I liked this one much better.