Westerns.

Dmitry

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of my favorites, is more of a comedy spaghetti western, called, "My Name Is Nobody."  It stars Terence Hill and Henry Fonda. The sequel, "They Call Me Trinity" is just as good. Of course you have to like, "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly." If I'm flipping through the channels and find this movie on, I have to watch it.

11 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Just a couple of days ago finally watched Jim Jarmusch's DEAD MAN. What an unconventional movie! I really enjoyed it.

How about Westerns as a genre? What are your favorites? I remember loving McKenna's Gold, when I was 11or 13 years old.  

Anthony Mann's with Jimmy Stewart (also his "Man of the West," with Gary Cooper, Lee J. Cobb, and Julie London), Budd Boetticher's with Randolph Scott, Andre De Toth's, mostly with Scott but don't miss the one with Robert Ryan, "Day of the Outlaw," with Burl Ives and Tina Louise.

3 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

One of my favorites, is more of a comedy spaghetti western, called, "My Name Is Nobody."  It stars Terence Hill and Henry Fonda. The sequel, "They Call Me Trinity" is just as good. Of course you have to like, "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly." If I'm flipping through the channels and find this movie on, I have to watch it.

Both good, but I liked "They Call Me Trinity" a little more. 

I've always been a big John Wayne fan and "True Grit" is my favorite Wayne movie but "Chisum", "Big Jake" and "The Cowboys" to name a few, are also among my favorites. "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" is an all time great one, up there with "A Fistful of Dollars" and "Hang 'Em High". The Eastwood westerns are the best.

Slightly newer favorites...

"Silverado", "Tombstone" and "Maverick".

Speaking of Leone, "Once Upon A Time In The West", the full-length version, is a new favorite. Saw it for the first time a few months ago as was transfixed by the sloooooow burn of the tempo, not unlike a Shirley Horn ballad that lasts a few hours.

If you do TV Westerns, do not go without Have Gun Will Travel, the whole series. On the whole, as dark as any cinematic Western.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Speaking of Leone, "Once Upon A Time In The West", the full-length version, is a new favorite. Saw it for the first time a few months ago as was transfixed by the sloooooow burn of the tempo, not unlike a Shirley Horn ballad that lasts a few hours.

Oh yeah.  I saw it recently too.  Same reaction.

Truthfully, I've yet to see a "classic" or "all-time great" Western (not all the filler stuff that you can get on STARZ Westerns, but the consensually classic cineflix) that I haven't liked. It's genre that was (and still is, imo) that provides a blank canvas on which to Paint Your Own Mythology.

I also like a good number of TV Westerns for the same reason. Heroes and Villains! And sometimes no clear delineation of who is who.

Ben Johnson bought cars from a Lincoln Mercury dealership I worked at for a brief period in my life. The owner of the dealership dealt with him directly so I never sold him a car but we always got a kick out of his stories when he would come in for service. He credited John Ford as "the genius that turned him into a half-assed actor". 

On 9/6/2017 at 7:19 AM, Hardbopjazz said:

One of my favorites, is more of a comedy spaghetti western, called, "My Name Is Nobody."  It stars Terence Hill and Henry Fonda.

I saw this listed on the schedule of one of the movie channels we have and something triggered in my mind and I was sure I saw it as a kid in the theater and probably not once since. Also was sure I really liked the movie.  Should have DVR'd it but maybe it will pop up again.

On 08/09/2017 at 11:37 AM, Brad said:

The Searchers

Red River

High Noon

Stagecoach

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

Three Godfathers (wonderful movie)  

Three Godfathers is supposed to be one of Ford's ' lesser' westerns but I don't agree.

The desert cinematography is really beautiful, even by Ford's always impeccable standards.

The story is sentimental for sure but works for me . More important it's one of those films that sticks in your head and rewards multiple viewing.

I've got so many favourite westerns that I'll not attempt a list. Ford is my favourite and I've watched his westerns many, many times.

I'll put in a word for the undermentioned Sergeant Rutledge. This one also uses a flashback structure like Liberty Valance, has a court case and, naturally, amazing photography and lighting.

These are good ,

My Darling Clementine

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Stagecoach

Winchester 73

The Man From Laramie

The Furies

Fort Apache

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon

Rio Grande

The Searchers

Once Upon A Time In The West

Unforgiven

Tombstone

True Grit (Coens)

The Assassination Of Jesse James

Edited by kinuta

According to my ratings over Imdb and the website categorisation, my top 20 would be:

1. The General (1926)
2. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
3. My Darling Clementine (1946)
4. The Ox-Bow Incident (1943)
5. Giù la testa (1971)
6. Stagecoach (1939)
7. Dead Man (1995)
8. The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
9. Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (1966)
10. C'era una volta il West (1968)
11. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
12. Fort Apache (1948)
13. Go West (1925)
14. Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957)
15. High Plains Drifter (1973)
16. High Noon (1952)
17. Rio Bravo (1959)
18. True Grit (2010)
19. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)
20. Blazing Saddles (1974)

4 hours ago, kinuta said:

Three Godfathers is supposed to be one of Ford's ' lesser' westerns but I don't agree.

The desert cinematography is really beautiful, even by Ford's always impeccable standards.

The story is sentimental for sure but works for me . More important it's one of those films that sticks in your head and rewards multiple viewing.

I've got so many favourite westerns that I'll not attempt a list. Ford is my favourite and I've watched his westerns many, many times.

I'll put in a word for the undermentioned Sergeant Rutledge. This one also uses a flashback structure like Liberty Valance, has a court case and, naturally, amazing photography and lighting.

I've seen Three Godfathers a couple of times and it's terrific

As I'm sure you know The Searchers was a very influential movie on directors like George Lucas. 

I forgot to add that the Good, the Bad and the Ugly is a favorite. 

Edited by Brad