Westerns.

Dmitry

Watched THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN for the first time. I already knew the plot, more or less, from the Seven Samurai. I can see how this became an international best-seller. The story is a feel-good story, there's a lot of shooting and some improbable marksmanship, and the good unequivocally tumps the evil. Also, not knowing the plot exactly, I was expecting to see some indians, but it was the gunslingers/cowboys against Mexican bandits. I'm not sure of the locale, I'm presuming it's on the Arizona/Mexico border?  I
f I was faced with a choice of The Searchers vs. The Seven, The Searchers is a much better film imho.The score to The Seven is very-very good.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No love for Shane????

I have to admit, never saw the complete film til a few years ago (you know how it is, flip by a movie, it's halfway through, give it 5 minutes, flip away)  so watched it from the beginning on tcm one night....wow... Minor spoiler alert....I really like the fact that 2 men are in love with the same woman (Jean Arthur, in her last film role) but neither is a bad man, no back stabbing takes place.  Alan Ladd's best performance. IMHO. Van Heflin is also very good in a somewhat thankless role, and Brandon deWilde is superb as the boy....

thought this was interesting, from the Wiki page for Shane....

Stevens wanted to demonstrate to audiences "the horrors of violence". To emphasize the terrible power of gunshots, he created a cannon-like sound effect by firing a large-calibre weapon into a garbage can. In addition, he had the two principal shooting victims—Palance and Elisha Cook Jr.—rigged with hidden wires that jerked them violently backward when shot. These innovations, according to film historian Jay Hyams, marked the beginning of graphic violence in Western movies. He quotes Sam Peckinpah: "When Jack Palance shot Elisha Cook Jr. in Shane, things started to change."[9]

shane.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...