Visiting San Francisco in very late September / early Oct

romualdo

The last time I was in the Bay Area, I found that most of the jazz was in Oakland. Piedmont Piano Company, the Sound Room, Birdland Jazzista Social Club, Cafe Van Kleef , California Jazz Conservatory (Berkeley), Geoffrey's Inner Circle, Duende.  Not much jazz at Yoshi's any more.  Most of this is pretty straight-ahead swing to hard bop.  I didn't find much like The Stone.

One place in San Francisco that i like - in part because I like book stores - is Bird and Beckett.  It's outside of the central city (financial district, "downtown", North Beach, Haight, Sunset, etc.), but they have intimate shows of mostly local talent and only ask for a donation.  

Good resource here: https://kcsm.org/datebookmanager/

Edited by BeBop

• 3 weeks later...

Bay Area local and active performer. Bebop's recommendations are legit, and if you're looking for a more comprehensive listing that hews closer to pure improv/free jazz, check out this listing: http://www.bayimproviser.com/

I'll shamelessly plug my own stuff and say that I'm playing the Starry Plough in Berkeley this Friday (9/29) with my primary project Grex and two very interesting groups (torch song project Qualia and the the unbelievable Sacramento-based avant prog band Gentleman Surfer). Monday 10/2 I play the Make-Out Room in San Francisco with Scott Amendola (TJ Kirk, Nels Cline Singers) and bassist Jason Hoopes (the bassist in Fred Frith's current trio), Thursday 10/5 I play Berkeley Art Museum with Scott's ridiculous big band (featuring Ben Goldberg, Fred Frith, members of ROVA, and more). Not sure when you're leaving, but I play the aforementioned Bird and Beckett on Sunday, 10/15 with Lewis Jordan and Music at Large (Lewis was in the band United Front with Anthony Brown, Mark Izu, and George Sams).

Other general places to check out--and where the "meat" of the scene is, as far as genre intersection and the really innovative stuff is concerned--include the Luggage Store Gallery in SF, Studio Grand in Oakland, and Octopus Salon in Oakland. A lot of the medium-sized rock clubs are also pretty good hubs for interesting music--e.g., the Elbo Room, Hemlock Tavern, the Night Light. Bebop's list of jazz clubs covers a lot of the big ones, but I'll also add Woods Bar and Brewery. FWIW, Duende no longer exists, and Cafe Van Kleef is pretty unreliable these days. 

Yoshi's is still in business, but their jazz bookings have been reduced significantly. Worth looking at the calendar, though.

Red Poppy Art House has some interesting bookings coming up.

-->If you can handle crowds, the amazing (and FREE) Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival is taking place in GG Park, Oct 6-8. They don't typically have jazz, but the styles of music presented is VERY wide ranging. Look at the schedule - artists range from Randy Newman to Hot Tuna to Bela Fleck to Steve Earle to Lucinda Williams ... and on and on. Surprisingly, THIS year there IS a significant jazz performance on Sunday: Ornette's Prime Time Band Reunion featuring Jamaaladeen Tacuma, Al MacDowell, Charlie Ellerbe, Badal Roy, Denardo Coleman with Special Guests David Murray, Wallace Roney & Marc Ribot!