Visiting NYC over Columbus Day weekend (Fri-Mon, Oct 6-9) - live jazz (or even classical) to recomend?

Rooster_Ties

Oct 5-9, 2017.  Mrs. Rooster and I are headed up on the train after work that Thursday night (10/5), back Monday evening (10/9).  I'm scouting for stuff to do, including live jazz (or even interesting classical) either Fri, Sat, or Sun.  We're probably going to catch a Broadway (or off-Broadway) show too.

Plan to see the Highline, and a number of museums, and take in some architecture.  Open to any/all suggestions, including interesting restaurants.  We're staying a little less than a mile due north of Penn Station, fwiw.

I've been to New York for business (few very brief work-related trips, since I moved to DC in 2011) -- but we haven't gone to just do stuff for close to 20 years (back when we lived in Kansas City, just a couple years after we met).  Ever since we moved to DC, it's been the mountains of central and northern VA, West VA, western Maryland -- or central PA, plus also Pittsburg and Philly -- and also the beaches around the Del-Mar-Va -- that have been all the places we've headed for our out-of-town down-time.  (And two trips further north, to Buffalo and all around upstate NY -- and also Rhode Island.)

I kept saying I'd go to New York when some specific jazz thing called me there, but I finally decided just to go and finally visit a hell of a lot of Museums that I should have seen years ago -- regardless of who's playing (or even if anyone's playing).

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 weeks later...

How often does Small's update their calendar?  Seem not to have anything listed for October yet (only 12 days out).

https://www.smallslive.com/events/calendar/2017/10/

Tempting to hear Renee Rosnes, very much under consideration.

Also half considering catching the Ike Willis Project (former Zappa lead vocalist, 1978-88), who I heard 10+ years ago with Zappa tribute band Project Object (and he was pretty amazing).  He's at the Iridium, Friday Oct 6th.

Still open to other suggestions -- thanks!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I thought Smalls was usually scheduled about three to four weeks in advance, so they seem to be falling behind.

I would check New York City Jazz Record when the October issue comes out (this should be at the end of September).

http://nycjazzrecord.com

Various jazz live music venue links here: https://bigapplejazz.com/nyc-jazz-clubs/

I'd pick the Vanguard myself. I'm a sucker for Renee's playing and she has Chris Potter playing up front.

The Blue Note has the vocal band Take 6, Birdland has Ron Carter's "Great Big Band" and Smoke Jazz has vocalist Joanna Pascale doing a Monk tribute. Pascale's got a killer backing band so if a vocal tribute to Monk is for you, that might be a good one.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I'd pick the Vanguard myself. I'm a sucker for Renee's playing and she has Chris Potter playing up front.

The Blue Note has the vocal band Take 6, Birdland has Ron Carter's "Great Big Band" and Smoke Jazz has vocalist Smoke has vocalist Joanna Pascale doing a Monk tribute. Pascale's got a killer backing band so if a vocal tribute to Monk is for you, that might be a good one.

My problem with Smoke is, ever since they went to a three sets a night, each set is about 45 to 50 minutes.

I also like Mezzrow Jazz club. It has become one of the best clubs in NYC. Like its sister club, Smalls, it doesn't have the schedule for October yet. 

Peter Bernstein, Larry Goldings and Bill Stewart will be at the Jazz Standard when you are in NYC.

5 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Don't waste your time on the National jazz museum in Harlem, if you were thinking of going. There isn't much there.

Ah, good to know!  Actually my wife saw this in a guidebook the other night, and asked me about it (and I mean to ask here).  I had a hunch that could go either way (given the quality of the jazz museum back in KC, my most recent home before DC).  Thank you!

I went to the Vanguard and Smoke on the same night when i was in NY in April. I was intending to go to Smoke but it was a total fluke I went to The Vanguard. I was strollling around and looked up and saw the Village Vanguard sign. I just had to go in and catch a set. Scott Colley Quartet was playing. I then went over to Smoke and lucked out as Bernstein was playing with Mike Ledonne. They seemed to play for a good while, but a young German kid eventually sat in on guitar.

The next night at Smoke was the highlight though...Mel Davis on Organ and Marvin Horne playing guitar with a great sax player and funky young drummer. Now that was something special. It was like walking into a Charles Kynard album!!! The next night would have been very special as well, which was an 80th birthday gig for Mr Reuben Wilson, however I had to catch a plane to Mississippi and couldn't attend. i was very dissapointed about that, but I had no idea the Organ would be at Smoke while I was in NYC and couldn't alter my itenarary. Smokes a tiny little bar :)

6 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

Peter Bernstein, Larry Goldings and Bill Stewart will be at the Jazz Standard when you are in NYC.

The food is good at The Jazz Standard.  (IIRC from a Danny Meyer's BBQ place next door.)  Wish I was there this week to see the Mingus Big Band. 

Edited by medjuck

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

The food is good at The Jazz Standard.  (IIRC from a Danny Meyer's BBQ place next door.)  Wish I was there this week to see the Mingus Big Band. 

Speaking of the Mingus Big Band, I wonder if Rooster_Ties can extend his visit by a day and catch their weekly gig at the Standard? Well worth it.