80's Jazz music videos were horrible

14 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Nice write-up, CJ!  Thanks for sharing.

Even though I grew up in the 80s, I've never been a fan of music videos -- regardless of genre.

Sound like I wasn't missing anything when it came to these jazz videos! ;) 

I might do a part 2 targeting a video I forgot about, "Sequencer" by Al Dimeola, which sort of is a Fairlight demo song, the YT comments are hilarious, people love it.  Horrible, only thing cool is about is Al Leong. Then there were two post "Rockit"" Herbie vids that are pretty bad, one where he's a Metro North conductor, it's for one of the "Perfect Machine" singles, I think. I ended up editing parts of the article, got it out there fast.  Miles videos sucked too, "Doo Bop" was '93 I think?  Vince Wilburn posted on FB that a Kool Mo Bee sequel to Doo Bop is coming.  It was great that Miles was into that thing at the end of his life, but not all of that works.  I think Miles would have sounded better doing the early drum n bass thing out of England, the things that Erik Truffaz was doing, later in the 90's.  The interesting thing about the Stanley Jordan video was that it contains a different solo from the album version, which DiMeola produced that album IIRC.  What else sucked? Branford and Buckshot LeFonque's vid for "Breakfast At Denny's" whih visually tried to make a social statement, and I think those albums are some of the more interesting early jazz-hip hop concoctions.  That didn't really go mainstream IMO until "Black Radio", where you had popular rappers like Snoop and Common guesting as opposed to just underground cats.  I remember having a cop of Steve Coleman's "A Tale of Three Cities" when it came out, as a 13 year old those rhythmic concepts didn't make sense yet, and I was a total hard bop, straight ahead snob at that point.

Jim, what is that Roberts vid?

9 hours ago, CJ Shearn said:

Jim, what is that Roberts vid?

I do not remember. I saw it on a jazz video show (sic) that was on some Tampa TV station when I lived there (1990-91). I couldn't find it on YouTube. But it was definitely an "official video", staged and framed and label-produced.