West Coast Jazz Today (Atlas Label)

Tom 1960

I just finished listening to an excellent program on KSDS hosted by Ken Poston which featured a good number of releases/selections from the Japanese Atlas label. It was really great to hear some music I wasn't fully aware of. A lot of guys from the early days of the West Coast scene were featured heavily. I already own a few of these releases, most notably the Art Pepper Hollywood All Star Sessions. I talked to Ken over the phone and he said a lot of this stuff is hard to find or is OOP, so it was a real treat to here some of this rare music. A real education. I'm not certain if there was a dedicated thread to this label previously, so excuse me if I'm bringing up past discussions. I'm just curious what you guys think. Do you own and of these releases. Thoughts positive or negative would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I had all the Pepper dates on lp and now have the cd box. There is also a dandy Russ Freeman / Shelly Manne duet reissued on Contemporary.4182DGZ5CJL.jpg

The dj played a track off that album. I purchased that album many moons ago I believe on your recommendation, Chuck. I think it might have been one of Shelly's last sessions.