Solo order on Terry Gibbs' "A Jazz Band Ball"?

Larry Kart

Just began to listen to this 1957 album, originally on Mode, on a recent Gibbs compilation. Backed by Lou Levy, Max Bennett, and Mel Lewis, the frontline is Gibbs, Victor Feldman, and Larry Bunker, all either on vibes, marimba, or xylophone. Fine music so far, but who solos when? I assume that the liner notes for the original album say, but I don't have access to it. I did find a review that said that on "The Dipsy Doodle" the solo order is Gibbs, Bunker, and Feldman, and on "Hollywood Blues" it's the same, but that leaves eight more tracks cloaked in mystery. 

P.S. Full name of album is  "A Jazz Band Ball -- Second Set." It was preceded on Mode by Gibbs' "A Jazz Band Ball," with Bill Harris and others.

If that review's info on "The Dipsy Doodle" solo order is correct, I'm close to figuring it out. First, Gibbs' near hyper-percussive style is readily identifiable. Second, Feldman is a bit to the left in the stereo mix, which leaves Bunker a bit to the right (he's the also the least percussive of the three), with Gibbs in the center. BTW, Bunker is really impressive here --  a highly linear thinker who likes to suspend his lines harmonically in a fairly unique manner. Only album I can think where Bunker is heard at length on vibes, is one on RCA under Lou Levy's name. Any others?

P.S. When they're soloing on xylophone and marimba I have no clue as to who's who.

I have the VSOP facsimile reissue of that Mode album, and as for "The Dipsy Doodle", the liner notes (by one Joe Quinn) specifically state: "Gibbs, Bunker and Feldman romp for two choruses each in that order, followed by a fours exchange in the same sequence." So this confirms what you read in that review ... :mellow:

To avoid having to write lengthy excerpts for the other tunes, here is a scan of the track listing part of the liner notes:
30379170zb.jpg

10 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

P.S. Full name of album is  "A Jazz Band Ball -- Second Set." It was preceded on Mode by Gibbs' "A Jazz Band Ball," with Bill Harris and others.

BTW, you nearly had me stumped with this one. I checked my Terry Gibbs LPs - no Mode 110. But I am convinced I do have that "first" "Jazz Band Ball" on Mode. I would not have let this pass me by, would I? Nothing in the Bill Haris corner either, neither any reference to co-billing for Terry Gibbs with someone else in the Goldmine Jazz LP guide. Had to do an internet search to refresh my memory with the key details: The first "Jazz Band Ball" is commonly credited to Marty Paich as the leader. And there it sits on my shelf ... whew ... :lol:

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Many thanks. Sorry for screwing up the leader credit for the first Mode album. Having to listened to all of this one now, it's really good; everyone seems to be having lots a great time, and Bunker for me was a revelation. Lou Levy and the whole rhhythm section are in terrific form.

P.S. This is the one with Harris and Gibbs I was thinking of:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Ex-Hermanites-Featuring-Bill-Harris-The-EX-Hermanites/release/8617733

2 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Which is one I had to think hard about for a moment too this morning when I followed up your initial post because I KNEW I have the Mode-related Bill Harris record. It turned out I do - but as the Xanadu reissue titled "Bill Harris Memorial Album" (so not immediately recognizable just by looking at the spine on the shelf), and it was not the first Jazz Band Ball LP, so back to step 1 until I found that Marty Paich reference

Edited by Big Beat Steve