Gjerstad Trio + Swell

Chuck Nessa

At the invitation of Lazaro Vega I attended a recording, for later broadcast, of the Frode Gjerstad Trio with guest Steve Swell. The group was completed by bassist Jon Rune Strom and drummer Paal Nilssen-Love. After the session I guided them to the Cocoa Cottage, a local b&b. Later in the evening they joined Ann and me at our house for a delightful evening of stories and "lies". This morning we were invited to breakfast with the group and we wished them well in their travels to Chicago, Montreal and beyond.21558534_1670723842938631_26678117062592

Photos to large to share, I guess. 

Blue Lake Public Radio features a special in studio performance by the Frode Gjerstad Trio with Steve Swell this Thursday morning from midnight to 1 a.m. eastern time “Out on Blue Lake.” The saxophonist/clarinetist who considers all jazz “free” since a boyhood encounter hearing Benny Goodman jam on record, Gjerstad’s trio features bassist Jon Rune Strom (who in 2016 performed with Gjerstad’s trio at Mexicains Sans Frontiers in Grand Rapids, and with Universal Indians at the Summer Solstice Jazz Festival in East Lansing), and drummer Paal Nilssen-Love, the 49 year old who’s played with Gjerstad for 34 years. Trombonist Steve Swell is on his third tour with the Norwegian free jazz ensemble, finding an exciting rapport in the band’s spontaneous orchestrations. This program is heard over WBLV FM 90.3 / WBLU FM 88.9 and streaming over the web from www.bluelake.org/listen.