Wynton Kelly Unissued in Boston

Dan Gould

http://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/74434/wynton-kelly/unissued-in-boston

I am not even waiting to listen to the whole thing to give my :tup. the first track, 12 minutes of "Confirmation" is enough for me. Its out in Europe, I think available from Amazon.com in October.  Kelly in Boston in 1967 (with Cecil McBee and Jimmy Cobb) and 1965 with Cobb and Chambers, and Roy Eldridge sitting in for a short medley and 9:30 of blues.

Haven't gotten to the second set but sound on the 1967 set is superb on my high-end PC speakers.

And, I had my mitts in the Dime/traders market a long time and don't recall any Wynton Kelly trio out there. Maybe I missed something?

Its the Phono label, and not a cheap issue, with fairly lengthy liners so ...

It's prime Wynton, that's for sure.

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Cecil McBeem on bass? :huh:

According to the liners the  only other possibility of hearing McBee with Wynton Kelly is a Left Bank set backing Hank Mobley. Surely number one on my personal list of dream Left Bank concert releases but I stopped holding my breath along time ago.

Ah, must be another of the Hank Mobley Left Bank concerts on that web page that always had me salivating. Maybe it was with McCoy Tyner?

Anyway, this CD is very nice, great sound in both shows, and with a decent but unidentified host doing a couple of interview segments.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know the exact reason why, but Paul Chambers, Kelly's regular bassist, was developing severe addiction problem in this period (he died in 1968 at age 33),  so I guess sometimes Kelly needed temp replacements.  In addition to McBee, Kelly hired Ron McClure.  Both are excellent bassists, but don't have much in common -- so I guess the choice was quite random.

7 hours ago, bertrand said:

Well, the CD says Confirmation. Are those not the changes of Confirmation? Isn't Confirmation itself a contrafact?

Haven't heard the track, is it just impro or does it have a head? There are several Confirmation contrafacts (see this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jazz_contrafacts).

I had the idea that Confirmation was Bird's only original, but having followed the rabbit hole, I was surprised to learn the link with Twilight Time. The relevant bit on Henry Martin's latest book can be read here: https://books.google.com/books?id=6gfZDwAAQBAJ&lpg=PP1&pg=PA96#v=onepage&q=Confirmation&f=false

F

Edited by Fer Urbina

• 3 weeks later...