Archie Shepp Pitchin Can

Luciano

Here is the listed personnel, though it sounds like Shepp on the  "vocals" to me on Uhuru.  Definitely Dave Burrell on piano, though.  That was his signature drone.

Alto Saxophone – Noah HowardBass – Earl FreemanDrums – Sonny Murray*Harmonica – Julio FinnPiano – Dave BurrellTenor/Soprano Saxophone – Archie SheppTrumpet/trombone – Clifford ThorntonViola – Leroy JenkinsVocals – Chicago Beau

Edited by felser

Dear Felser

thanks for the answer

I'agree in your supposition regarding Archie Shepp on vocal on uhuru. But are you sure that these guys doesn't plays  on the record?:

Lester Bowie tp, Alan Shorter fluegel-horn, Bobby Few p, Bob Reid b,  Muhammad Ali dr, Djibrill conga dr, Ostaine Blue Warner perc

I hope you answer to me, on the contrary I take your replay to my question in a correct way

Thank you again

Luciano

I hope you will be able to decipher my bad English

Uhuru was recorded at the same session as Coral Rock and Pitchin' Can at the Black Gipsy session. 

The Coral Rock group was Lester Bowie, Alan Shorter, Clifford Thornton, Bobby Few, Bob Reid and Muhammad Ali.

Black Gipsy was Thornton, Noah Howard, Julio Finn, Dave Burrell, Leroy Jenkins, Earl Freeman, Sonny Murray and Chicago Beauchamp.

I don't remember if all musicians play on all tracks. 

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Thanks Clifford_thornton

but, please, could you be precise:

who are the guys on that record (and according to you: these guys are also on: Black Gispy; Coral Rock and Archie Shepp & Philly Jo Jones?)

On the web I found these muicians who participate at that records:

Noah Howard,Earl Freeman,Sonny Murray, Julio Finn, Dave Burrell,
Archie Shepp, Clifford Thornton,Leroy Jenkins, Chicago Beau,
Lester Bowie, Alan Shorter, Bobby Few, Bob Reid, Muhammad Ali,
Djibrill, Ostaine Blue Warner

Are them correct?

Greetings

Luciano

Oh right, Djibrill and Ostaine Blue Warner -- somehow forgot about those dudes. 

Archie Shepp & Philly Joe Jones is a completely different session from the Coral Rock/Black Gipsy/Pitchin' Can records.

Coral Rock and "Uhuru" on Pitchin' Can:

Archie Shepp (ts, p, chants) Lester Bowie (tp) Al Shorter (flh/tp) Clifford Thornton (v-tb) Bobby Few (p) Bob Reid (b) Muhammad Ali (d) Djibrill, Ostaine Blue Warner (perc.)

Black Gipsy [sic] and "Pitchin' Can" title track

Archie Shepp (ss) Noah Howard (as) Chicago Beau (voc) Julio Finn (hca) Clifford Thornton (ct) Leroy Jenkins (vln/vla) Dave Burrell (p) Earl Freeman (b) Sunny Murray (d)

Archie Shepp & Philly Joe Jones

Archie Shepp (ts, p) Philly Joe Jones (d) Anthony Braxton (as, ss) Leroy Jenkins (vln) Earl Freeman (b) Chicago Beau (voc, ss, p) Julio Finn (hca)