Forrrest/Goodman - Perfidia Alternate Take

JSngry

Well, ok. everybody says that this is from a Phontastic release of Goodman alternate takes, so i bought that which is supposed to have it, and it does not, it does not have this incomplete take which to me sounds like a run-through rather than an actual take because of the way all the mikes open up after things get going. So...is this available commercially anywhere?  (note: Commercially", not necessarily "legitimately")

No matter, DAMN, listen to that chart (dig the modulation and how the riff sets a pattern that is logically completed by the first notes of the vocal, only Sauter's been setting up that riff in all kinds of ways almost from the very beginning, THIS IS WRITING!!!!), that band, and HELEN FORREST!!!

There's a live take from months later, and jesus, it's all fucked up, too fast for anybody's good. But this, this is about as good as this type of thing gets, even if it is incomplete.

3:05 here, too damn fast. Clean, but wrong. Still, helluva band.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/10/2017 at 5:25 PM, king ubu said:

Thread led me to look for an acceptably-priced copy of the Collector's Choice Forrest/Goodman set ... arrived yesterday, first impression of it is pretty good indeed! :tup

Where did you find it? All the SH copies I've seen have been pricey.

On 18.10.2017 at 7:37 PM, crisp said:

Where did you find it? All the SH copies I've seen have been pricey.

amazon.com ... 20 or so $ - with 15 added for shipping not cheap but very much okay. I know about yurpeen second hand prices, had been checking every once in a while for several years. 

On 18.10.2017 at 10:05 PM, JSngry said:

Can we confirm, then, that the incomplete take at the top of this thread has never been available commercially, legit or otherwise?

Not sure, but it's not on the "complete" set released by Collector's Choice (which btw fails to give line-ups/session info - I hate that).

On 23/10/2017 at 1:30 PM, king ubu said:

amazon.com ... 20 or so $ - with 15 added for shipping not cheap but very much okay. I know about yurpeen second hand prices, had been checking every once in a while for several years. 

Thanks. Good to know it's possible.

• 6 months later...

PERFIDIA w/BG, DAVE TOUGH, HELEN FORREST 1.28.41

All extant versions of PERFIDIA - issued take is last

1/28/41 Alec Fila, Jimmy Maxwell, Cootie Williams, Irving Goodman (tp) Lou McGarity, Cutty Cutshall (tb) Benny Goodman (cl) Skippy Martin, Gus Bivona, Bob Snyder (as) Georgie Auld, Jack Henderson (ts) Teddy Wilson (p) Mike Bryan (g) Artie Bernstein (b) Dave Tough (d) Helen Forrest (vcl)