Perhaps embarrassing (so to speak)

but this may be of use. I'm 75, and about ten or more years ago, I began to notice that all my pants -- slacks, jeans, you name it, and whatever brand or style -- were falling down in the course of a normal day. I tried tightening my belt until I could hardly breathe -- forget it, same problem.  At one point I tried suspenders; they worked, but my first name isn't Clem or Lem. I could have stationed my belt just below my armpits, but my name isn't Seymour or Irving. Eventually I realized that the problem was that my ass pretty much had disappeared; whenever I bent over or sat down (especially while driving), there was nothing to prevent the rear end of my pants from incrementally sliding/moving downwards; and unless you keep hitching things up (and even then), there ya go. Also, though it didn't weigh heavily in my thinking, there is the cosmetic factor -- a man with almost no ass wearing pants that are made with the assumption that  the purchaser has a normal ass tends to look sort of silly.

Finally, I thought that there must be well-made underwear for men that had a reasonable amount of padding in the rear (there is for women). I investigated, and indeed there is; the brand that looked the best to me (after sifting through complaints and comments on lots of brands), was one with the apt and lovely name Butt For You. The pads (which come in two depths; I got the smaller size)  are sturdy foam inserts that you remove when washing the otherwise normal (except for the slots in the back) 95% cotton underwear. They're not cheap -- $29.95 a pair IIRC -- but they do the job; my pants stay in place now. Further, the padding means that when I sit for a while on a hard surface, like a wooden bench at a football or basketball game, my butt doesn't begin to ache. My wife says that the cosmetic results are good -- perfectly normal, no protruding Merv Griffin effect. (Remember Rick Moranis doing Merv on SCTV?)

In any case, my contribution to the well-being of the group. Don't thank me all at once.

http://www.buttforyou.com/

When I wore suspenders I felt like a fake lumberjack.

Also, if you do order something from Butt for You, be aware that their products are not returnable once you've worn them -- which is reassuring, I suppose. Order one pair in a size that you think will fit; if it doesn't, lesson learned, move on. 

There's a lot of style-choices for suspenders, but I leanred the har way that good ones don't come cheap. I need the ones with bigass grips, those little skinny ones are only for people who don't need the help.

These badboys, though - don't buy these if you really don't need the help, they are massive. I mean, I need the help, but THIS much help, still not sure about that. I'm skinny everywhere except my gut and my face and thse things make me feel shrunken/shrinking.

image_72457.jpg

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

There's a lot of style-choices for suspenders, but I learned the hard way that good ones don't come cheap. I need the ones with bigass grips, those little skinny ones are only for people who don't need the help. You get what you pay for, and help is either free or expensive, it's never cheap, ok?

These badboys, though - don't buy these if you really don't need the help, they are massive. I mean, I need the help, but THIS much help, still not sure about that. I'm skinny everywhere except my gut and my face and these things make me feel shrunken/shrinking.

image_72457.jpg

I could easily see wearing some nice black suspenders, specifically with/over a nice black button-down dress shirt (which I wear about once a week as it is).  But other than that, anything that they didn't blend in with (visually), I think l I'd feel WAY too conspicuous wearing suspenders.

I used to be quite the schlub for a good decade there (circa 2001-2011), but once I got to D.C., I got back to wearing ties every day to work -- only square-bottom ties (mostly Rooster, but a few other brands too, Ernst was a nice one, out of San Francisco).

But yeah, black on black, I could probably work that.

14 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Larry, I'm glad you solved your problem, but I have another suggestion to go with you solution.  Buy "tall" t-shirts.

Hmm. I'll think about that, though the T-shorts I wear do extend down below the belt line. Are you thinking that you end up (so to speak) sitting on the tail of the T-shirt, and then this mind of holds everything in place?