Monty Hall, RIP

Monty Hall has died at 96.  RIP.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/monty-hall-dead-lets-make-a-deal-host-latest/

The day JFK was killed, I was home from school sick.  I was watching TV when Walter Cronkite interrupted with the news that Kennedy had been shot.  He had not yet been told that Kennedy was dead.  I believe, but I am not positive, that the show that I was watching was a Monty Hall game show called Video Village.

10 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Monty Hall has died at 96.  RIP.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/monty-hall-dead-lets-make-a-deal-host-latest/

The day JFK was killed, I was home from school sick.  I was watching TV when Walter Cronkite interrupted with the news that Kennedy had been shot.  He had not yet been told that Kennedy was dead.  I believe, but I am not positive, that the show that I was watching was a Monty Hall game show called Video Village.

Your local station might have  been showing Video Village reruns, but the show was off the daytime air by 1962.

You sure it wasn't As The World Turns?

Still, Video Village!

For some reason, the first thought that came to my mind was of the undertaker saying to Mr. Hall's heirs,"You can keep what's in this box or you can trade it for what's behind the curtain".

Summer vacation as a kid always meant watching lots of daytime TV game shows.  Let's Make A Deal was a fun show that required absolutely no thought.  It also proved to me as a kid that adults -- these people willing to dress in those costumes and act like idiots just to get on TV -- weren't all they were cracked up to be.

Anyway, thanks for the entertainment Mr. Hall -- Rest In Peace.

3 hours ago, duaneiac said:

What ever became of the lovely Carol Merrill?

I looked her up on Wikipedia yesterday.  She's in her 70s now.

Your local station might have  been showing Video Village reruns, but the show was off the daytime air by 1962.

You sure it wasn't As The World Turns?

Jim, I know it was CBS because I know it was Cronkite.  I cannot say for sure what I was watching, but neither my mother nor I had any interest in soap operas, so I can't imagine that I was watching As the World Turns.  I have to think it was a game show.  And my recollection is that it was 10:30 or 11:30 in the morning, central time.

Edited by GA Russell

14 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Jim, I know it was CBS because I know it was Cronkite.  I cannot say for sure what I was watching, but neither my mother nor I had any interest in soap operas, so I can't imagine that I was watching As the World Turns.  I have to think it was a game show.  And my recollection is that it was 10:30 or 11:30 in the morning, central time.

12:30 PM Central time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_John_F._Kennedy

per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_the_World_Turns

On November 22, 1963, the live CBS broadcast of As The World Turns began as always at 1:30 EST. In this episode, the Hughes family was discussing plans for Thanksgiving. Ten minutes later, a "CBS News Bulletin" slide suddenly came up on the screen and Walter Cronkite gave the first report of the assassination.[17]

Here is a bulletin from CBS News: in Dallas, Texas, three shots were fired at President Kennedy's motorcade in downtown Dallas. The first reports say that President Kennedy has been seriously wounded by this shooting. More details just arrived. These details about the same as previously: President Kennedy shot today just as his motorcade left downtown Dallas. Mrs. Kennedy jumped up and grabbed Mr. Kennedy, she called, 'Oh no!'. The motorcade sped on. United Press says that the wounds for President Kennedy perhaps could be fatal. Repeating, a bulletin from CBS News: President Kennedy has been shot by a 'would-be assassin' in Dallas, Texas. Stay tuned to CBS News for further details.[17]

At the end of this bulletin, CBS rejoined As The World Turns, which was still in progress. The cast, performing the episode live, was not yet aware of the rapidly developing situation.[17]

As NBC and ABC, the other two major U.S. TV networks, were not programming at the time (the 1:30–2:00 ET period belonging to their local affiliates), As The World Turns has the distinction of being the last regular U.S. network program broadcast for the next four days as the assassination and funeral of JFK and the transition of power to President Lyndon B. Johnson took center stage.[18]