Tom Petty is gone.

Dmitry

Very sad. When in my teens and 20s, I never would have considered myself a fan. That wasn't so much because I didn't like his music but rather FM radio gave me more than enough Tom Petty, so, no need to but, besides I was more of a metal head. As I got older though I learned to appreciate his straight forward rock and roll and became a fan.

He definitely seemed to be an overall nice guy and a gentlemen. His quote below proves that.

“About the Sam Smith thing. Let me say I have never had any hard feelings toward Sam. All my years of songwriting have shown me these things can happen. Most times you catch it before it gets out the studio door but in this case it got by. Sam’s people were very understanding of our predicament and we easily came to an agreement. The word lawsuit was never even said and was never my intention. And no more was to be said about it. How it got out to the press is beyond Sam or myself. Sam did the right thing and I have thought no more about this. A musical accident no more no less. In these times we live in this is hardly news. I wish Sam all the best for his ongoing career. Peace and love to all.”

2 hours ago, catesta said:

Very sad. When in my teens and 20s, I never would have considered myself a fan. That wasn't so much because I didn't like his music but rather FM radio gave me more than enough Tom Petty, so, no need to but, besides I was more of a metal head. As I got older though I learned to appreciate his straight forward rock and roll and became a fan.

You pretty much summed up MY story of Tom Petty fandom here. 

And the Sam Smith thing was handled perfectly by both sides. Neither seemed bothered by it at all. Once I heard the similarities, I knew that Petty could have sued the pants off of him, but chose not to. 

Good stuff. 

He may be still alive.

Drudge currently says that he is "clinging to life."
http://drudgereport.com

CBS reported that he had died, but TMZ said that that report is wrong.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-petty-rock-iconoclast-who-led-the-heartbreakers-dead-at-66-w506651

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/tom-petty-dead-66-cardiac-arrest-1201882918/

HUGE fan here, and his  loss seems inevitable, even if the official reporting was premature.  "Refugee" and  "Here Comes My Girl" helped shape my world.  One of the greatest live bands ever, along with Springsteen/E-Street.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

I think I caught that broadcast too. ‘Whistling Bob’ era.

or Whispering Bob? :w

Channel 4 News just ended with a montage of Petty. I was surprised by that, didn't think he was that recognised to merit national news coverage.Maybe the producer watched OGWT too