Spirit - Ash Grove 1967, Volume One

bertrand

Related question: Beyond the four studio albums with the original lineup, are there any Spirit albums worth getting? I would like more of that same kind of thing. Those records are uneven, but the best parts are great.

I have a download of the Model Shop soundtrack.

Bertrand.

I have a lot of the later live archival stuff,  and enjoy it, but it's all Randy California.  If you enjoy the idea of him doing extended takes on classic titles, it's for you,  But the pop sensibilities of Jay Ferguson and the dynamics of John Locke are long gone,  If you like Ferguson (I do), check out the four albums by Jo Jo Gunne.  Those are probably the next purchase after the four classic Spirit titles, ahead of the later California Spirit titles.

1 hour ago, bertrand said:

Related question: Beyond the four studio albums with the original lineup, are there any Spirit albums worth getting? I would like more of that same kind of thing. Those records are uneven, but the best parts are great.

I have a download of the Model Shop soundtrack.

Bertrand.

I really liked Spirit of '76.  Also check out Randy's solo album Kapt. Kopter.

2 hours ago, bertrand said:

Spirit of '76 also has Ed Cassidy, right? Is it mostly instrumental?

Yeah, Spirit of '76 is all California, Cassidy and overdubs by them.  It's almost all songs.  I didn't mention archival titles, but I did mention this:

R-2947091-1380320062-2086.jpeg.jpg