Monk manuscripts on Ebay?

bertrand

What do you mean 'what's up'? Someone bought them from the famous Guernsey's Auction of jazz memorabilia in 2005. I was there too, it was amazing! Wish I had the money then.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=pioneer+pl-70lii&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xthelonious+monk+manuscript.TRS0&_nkw=thelonious+monk+manuscript&_sacat=0

Do they sound better if you play them off of Monk's lead sheets?

OTOH, I've seen so many jacked-up fake book renditions...

But that Hal Leonard thing, the one's I've tried, they seem to get them right.

But on the whole, the once-ongoing narrative of how Monk's tunes were "hard to play" is at least as much a function of the inability of people of the time to think like Monk to go after the "sounds" instead looking for the "chords"...you see all kinds of assumptions based on standard practice of the time projected onto root movements, and even when they get that part right (which is only a sometimes thing), they're still not right, because if you play them like you would other fake book sheets of "normal" songs, they just sound...wrong.

Just saying, the shit IS hard it becomes a different type of hard once you get to the actual notes, not the assumptions.