Russ Freeman et al.

Larry Kart

Just picked a compilation of Maynard Ferguson’s two EmArcy jam session albums from 1954, with the likes of Bud Shank, Bob Cooper, Herb Geller, Milt Bernhart, Bob Gordon, Russ Freeman, Claude Williamson, Curtis  Counce, John Simmons, Shelly Manne and Max Roach. What caught my ear was Russ Freeman’s solo on “Night Flight” (at the 5:13 mark), with Manne breaking up the time behind him for a while, as the two of them liked to do:

Also interesting is Shank’s rather Desmond-like solo on “Somebody Loves Me” (the first solo on the track):

I much prefer the early Shank to the “hot” Shank of later years.

3 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

What caught my ear was Russ Freeman’s solo on “Night Flight” (at the 5:13 mark), with Manne breaking up the time behind him for a while, as the two of them liked to do:

Nice!  Russ Freeman was doing such interesting rhythmic stuff that you didn't typically hear from pianists of that era.  He also played very tasteful chord voicings that did not necessarily use eight or nine or ten fingers, but rather very well chosen notes, with nice tensions and resolutions.  I always recognize his playing. 

Haven't been "big" on Shank of any period for decades now, but I will say that, increasingly, I (mostly) find his mid-60s "pop" albums to feel like a  proper/ideal balance between player, material, and settings. If it were that easy, everybody would have done it. Occasionally they'll be annoyingly generic, but often enough, sweet (no pun intended) spot hit (no pun intended) well enough.

Hi Larry ... You bring back a great memory for me. I was 15, growing up in Cape Town, and I clearly remember buying this album with a week's worth of pocket money. It was originally issued as a 10" album called "Hollywood Party" and I played that album on an inexpensive red plastic Swedish portable machine with a needle and cartridge that must have weighed at least a pound!  Like you I have the Fresh Sound copy now, and I still thrill to the interplay between Bob Cooper, Bud Shank, and the underrated Bob Gordon on baritone. (Maynard just gets in the way!) There is still a lot of great "West Coast Jazz" waiting to be appreciated.