Weather Report - Complete Columbia Studio & Live Recordings

mjzee

1 hour ago, bertrand said:

An 18-year old getting into 'jazz' who receives this for Xmas will have his/her mind blown, life changed etc. Bargain. 

A developing mind needs to hear a variety of musical styles and artists to form a personality,  not 15 cds of the music by the same band. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

A developing mind needs to hear a variety of musical styles and artists to form a personality,  not 15 cds of the music by the same band. 

IMHO, there is no "one right way" to make your way into music.  When I was in high school, I constantly listened to the bands Genesis and Yes -- and hardly anything else.  Not exactly a diverse musical diet!  ;) 

It was only when I went off to college that my musical interests began to expand into other areas -- jazz, classical, folk, bluegrass, and all the rest.

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

IMHO, there is no "one right way" to make your way into music.  When I was in high school, I constantly listened to the bands Genesis and Yes -- and hardly anything else.  Not exactly a diverse musical diet!  ;) 

It was only when I went off to college that my musical interests began to expand into other areas -- jazz, classical, folk, bluegrass, and all the rest.

You can’t think this was the right thing, as opposed to exposing a teenager to a world beyond those two? Disagree?

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

You can’t think this was the right thing, as opposed to exposing a teenager to a world beyond those two? Disagree?

No, I don't think doing what I did is the "right thing" -- and I'm all for exposing young people to diverse types of music.  But I don't think it's "wrong" to give a teenager a big Weather Report box either.

I just followed my nose and ended up where I am.  I'm just saying that there's nothing wrong with that -- either in my case or others'.

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Could have been much worse ;) ....

4 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Dude, they're going to rip it onto their phone and then do shuffle. Between this and all the 50 bajillion other things they already have on their, there is likely to be more than enough variety for any personality they will form.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Dude, they're going to rip it onto their phone and then do shuffle. Between this and all the 50 bajillion other things they already have on their, there is likely to be more than enough variety for any personality they will form.

Teenagers don’t listen to albums, they play individual songs.  Who the hell gives a 15 cd set of any one thing to a 18 y.o.?!

if it comes to that decision, just buy an iTunes or amazon gift card.

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Teenagers don’t listen to albums, they play individual songs.  Who the hell gives a 15 cd set of any one thing to a 18 y.o.?!

if it comes to that decision, just buy an iTunes or amazon gift card.

Wow, that is a sweeping statement. And it is nonsense too. I received Ayler’s ‘Holy Ghost’ set for my seventeenth birthday and bought Miles’ complete Columbia Album Collection when I was nineteen. It hasn’t make me worse, in fact I was very, very happy with them and they did contribute to my own musical development. And it sure didn’t mean that Ayler or Davis were the only people that I played in my tiny bedroom at my parents house.

3 hours ago, Pim said:

Wow, that is a sweeping statement. And it is nonsense too. I received Ayler’s ‘Holy Ghost’ set for my seventeenth birthday and bought Miles’ complete Columbia Album Collection when I was nineteen. It hasn’t make me worse, in fact I was very, very happy with them and they did contribute to my own musical development. And it sure didn’t mean that Ayler or Davis were the only people that I played in my tiny bedroom at my parents house.

Obviously I wasn’t describing the second coolest kid in Benelux, but some average eighteen year old.

Yeah, well, if "average" people of any age listened to music of any era of Weather Report or anything like all of its it....but they don't/. Even when the band was popular, "average" people really didn't pay any attention to them. So, yeah, "average teenager", definitely a thing, but not at all germane to this topic.

7 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Obviously I wasn’t describing the second coolest kid in Benelux, but some average eighteen year old.

That makes me wonder who the coolest is then... haha. But seriously: the average kid would not be happy with this box set, so why would you give it to him. I am a high school teacher so I know for sure. But if the teenager already has an interest in jazz or fusion, this box set would be one of the best gifts possible. Box sets were always well presented on my wishlist as I couldn’t afford them myself at the time with my minimum wage job.