Norman Simmons' "Midnight Creeper"

Larry Kart

What a lovely mellow trio album this is from the three men who backed Betty Carter for a good while: Simmons, Lisle Atkinson, and Al Harewood. Beautifully recorded by David Baker, too. Title tune and two other tracks are slow and bluesy, there's an excellent version of "Confirmation," one of the few readings of Johnny Mandel's "Emily" I've ever liked, and more. Simmons had his own voicings, perhaps akin to those of fellow Chicagoan Chris Anderson. A gem. You'll want the CD version, which has extra tracks.

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/normansimmons3 

41OKLDV7mbL._AC_US218_.jpg

6 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

What a lovely mellow trio album this is from the three men who backed Betty Carter for a good while: Simmons, Lisle Atkinson, and Al Harewood. Beautifully recorded by David Baker, too. Title tune and two other tracks are slow and bluesy, there's an excellent version of "Confirmation," one of the few readings of Johnny Mandel's "Emily" I've ever liked, and more. Simmons had his own voicings, perhaps akin to those of fellow Chicagoan Chris Anderson. A gem. You'll want the CD version, which has extra tracks.

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/normansimmons3 

41OKLDV7mbL._AC_US218_.jpg

More by this Trio via "I'm The Blues" again released on Milljac .... feat additionaly Clifford Jordan and Jimmy Owens ....

6 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

I'll look for it. Thanks.

Endorsing both yours and the @soulpope recommendations ... found both last year, together with a third disc (also on Milijac) with Frank Wess, Jimmy Owens and others.

Guess they come recommended all three, but "I'm the Blues" may so far be my favourite of the bunch

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

Anyone know Simmons' "Ramira the Dancer" (Spotlite) from 1978? It's got Atkinson, Harewood, and percussionist Ralph Dorsey. Spotlite dates were nicely produced and recorded IIRC.

Haven`t listened to it for quite some time (believe it is still vinyl only) but as you did appreciate "Midnight Creeper" rest assured for a session in a similar groove .... for some folks an additional percussionist being a showstopper, but definitely not for me .... btw kept it inter alias because of another great performance by Lisle Atkinson ....

Thanks, soulpope. Atkinson WAS good. IIRC, he's the bassist ***  on that very nice Donald Byrd-Pepper Adams record with Herbie Hancock making what probably was his debut on record. It's the one with a lovely, gliding version of "Mr. Lucky."

*** Nope, that was Laymon Jackson.

515x9gs0+FL._AC_US218_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/10/2017 at 10:46 AM, Dan Gould said:

His association with Joe Williams got me interested in his solo work many years ago.  Glad to be reminded of these, I should definitely pull them out and enjoy them again.

I don't think you've got 'em any longer, Dan. You sold four of 'em to me in 2008 :g

Norman SImmons is one of my favourites. I think I first heard him with Red Holloway, on 'Red Soul', but it may have been Johnny Griffin with the Big Soul Band, which he arranged.

MG

1 hour ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I don't think you've got 'em any longer, Dan. You sold four of 'em to me in 2008 :g

Norman SImmons is one of my favourites. I think I first heard him with Red Holloway, on 'Red Soul', but it may have been Johnny Griffin with the Big Soul Band, which he arranged.

MG

Selling does not imply disposal. :g

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Selling does not imply disposal. :g

:D

Glad to hear it. Ah, those were the days when you could get 14 CDs from Dan without taking out a second mortgage for the postage.

MG

16 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Have this one on the shelf. Haven't listened to it in a while, but will be playing it today or tomorrow.51TdIa5lDLL._SX355_.jpg

I think I like this one of his best. It contains what I think is the DEFINITIVE version of 'Caravan', which I included in one of my BFTs. Norman is the only musician I've ever heard who really understood what it must be like to be leading a bunch of camels through the Sahara. Messrs Ellington and Tizol certainly didn't.

MG

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2017 at 6:08 AM, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I think I like this one of his best. It contains what I think is the DEFINITIVE version of 'Caravan', which I included in one of my BFTs. Norman is the only musician I've ever heard who really understood what it must be like to be leading a bunch of camels through the Sahara. Messrs Ellington and Tizol certainly didn't.

MG

MG, have you ever heard Randy Weston's version of "Caravan" on his Portraits of Duke Ellington?  It's an uncanny evocation of a desert scene. 

R-4729479-1427086337-5844.jpeg.jpg

• 5 months later...

Count me as a Norman Simmons fan as well.  For some reason, I thought that Jimmy Heath had arranged Johnny Griffin's Big Soul Band when I found it in a store this month (but maybe I was thinking of a Bags date?).  At any rate, when I got home and looked at the album, I was intrigued by the thought of Simmons having done the charts.  Simmons' charts really pop behind Griffin, whose work I've been quite enjoying lately.  With Riverside not being known for doing a ton of big band dates, it is remarkable that they took a chance on a young Simmons, who rewarded their faith with some top-shelf work.

In addition to Midnight Creeper, I also recommend The Art of Norman Simmons.  With Simmons still alive and well, it is shame that no one has recorded him recently.