Monk + Giants of Jazz tour

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

• 2 weeks later...
On 9.11.2019 at 1:22 AM, Fabio Baglioni said:

Gheorghe.: * I´ve heard once about a 1972 record done in Switzerland, but never saw or heard it.. 

I will try to search around 'jazz/fans-Traders' if may-be someone has this Live jazz sessions of..,:' The  Giants Of Jazz '  from Switzerland ,1972. I will also try for other sessions of..,:' The Giants Of Jazz ' … with Roy Haynes ,on drums .,- 

On 12.10.2017 at 3:53 PM, BillF said:

I saw the Giants of Jazz in London. Jazz was at a particularly low ebb at the time audience-wise and my recollection is that for former leaders, like Monk and Blakey, keeping a group together was no longer economically viable. 

Have most of their releases. Can send pictures.

Some on vinyl and some on CD/CD-r  incl. unofficial releases.

Edited by jazzcorner
typos

Thats what I have collected so far

CD-R    Giants of Jazz    Tour De Force    1969    Moon Records    006-2
LP    Giants of Jazz    Giants of Jazz in Berlin    1971    Emarcy(jap)    10108
LP     Giants of Jazz    Bob Fathers (Winding/Monk/Stitt/Blakey/McKibbon)    1971    Joker(jap)    142(2)
CD-R    Giants of Jazz    Giants of Jazz + Dizzie Gillespie Quintet - live -    1971-74    Jazz Door    1277
LP     Giants of Jazz    The Giants of Jazz    1972    Atlantic(2)    2-905
 LP    Giants of Jazz    Giants of Jazz in Switzerland    1972    Emarcy(jap)    10090
CD    Giants of Jazz    Live at the 1972 Monterey Jazz Festival    1972    MJF Records    08807230..

Edited by jazzcorner
typo

• This is one of the few Live video concerts of the ,,Giants.. here from France ,1971.,:
  • There are some more in ''Audio-Radios-Taped'' concerts/sessions of the ,,Giants… in case I will adds/post them here as an helps for JazzFans/Collectionists,.!!,. Ciao fabio .,Roma..-  
    '' THE   GIANTS  OF  JAZZ '',  Live at  'The  Newport  Jazz'
       live in  Paris  France  TV  show - program .
      DIZZY  GILLESPIE.tr   ,,SONNY  STITT.sax,,
      KAY  WINDING.tb    ,,THELONIUS  MONK.p..
      AL  Mc. KIBBON.cb   ,,ART  BLAKEY.dr,,.-1971,, t.31',
  •  

-  ,,  ,,  -

On 11/9/2019 at 8:06 AM, Gheorghe said:

It´s a shame it is OOP, I thought Concorde is quite a modern label, not so obscure to get out of sight. This really should be re-issued in a legit manner. 

This was rather out-of-the-ordinary for Concord (home to more mainstream musicians like Gene Harris, Ray Brown, Marian McPartland and Scott Hamilton), so I am guessing they bought the rights to release this album from Mr. Wein as a one-time deal and maybe they no longer have the rights to reissue it.  I've looked for it for a long time too.

Edited by duaneiac

54 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

This was rather out-of-the-ordinary for Concord (home to more mainstream musicians like Gene Harris, Ray Brown, Marian McPartland and Scott Hamilton), so I am guessing they bought the rights to release this album from Mr. Wein as a one-time deal and maybe they no longer have the rights to reissue it.  I've looked for it for a long time too.

Possibly true, but I bet they still own the rights.

3 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

I have recordings of several broadcasts:

Erkel Theater, Budapest November 1, 1971

Kongresshalle, Boblingen, November 7, 1971

Yankee Stadium, Newport in New York, July 9, 1972

Paris, October 27, 1972

Excusaymoa????????  Did you just say Monk played *YANKEE STADIUM*?  Newport in New York 72? in the actual stadium?  noooooooooo!!!!    You mean Billy Joel is not the greatest piano player to shred Yankee Stadium---- oh wow, who knows about this

the billboard 6-24-72 ad has it on the 8th, not 9th

are you mean art blakey took drum solo in Yankee Stadium--- thats so rad

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

23 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

Excusaymoa????????  Did you just say Monk played *YANKEE STADIUM*?  Newport in New York 72? in the actual stadium?  noooooooooo!!!!    You mean Billy Joel is not the greatest piano player to shred Yankee Stadium---- oh wow, who knows about this

the billboard 6-24-72 ad has it on the 8th, not 9th

are you mean art blakey took drum solo in Yankee Stadium--- thats so rad

There were 2 Yankee Stadium concerts as part of Newport in New York in 1972.  July 7 with Ray Charles, Nina Simone, BB King, Dave Brubeck with Paul Desmond and Gerry Mulligan, and a Jimmy Smith jam session with Kenny Burrell, Joe Newman, Illinois Jacquet, Zoot Sims, Clark Terry, and Roy Haynes.  And July 8 with Roberta Flack, Lou Rawls, Herbie Mann, Les McCann, and the Giants of Jazz.  My dad went to both of them, and several more of the Newport in NY events that week.  I have the programs somewhere in the back files.

21 minutes ago, Al in NYC said:

There were 2 Yankee Stadium concerts as part of Newport in New York in 1972.  July 7 with Ray Charles, Nina Simone, BB King, Dave Brubeck with Paul Desmond and Gerry Mulligan, and a Jimmy Smith jam session with Kenny Burrell, Joe Newman, Illinois Jacquet, Zoot Sims, Clark Terry, and Roy Haynes.  And July 8 with Roberta Flack, Lou Rawls, Herbie Mann, Les McCann, and the Giants of Jazz.  My dad went to both of them, and several more of the Newport in NY events that week.  I have the programs somewhere in the back files.

4 tracks from Herbie Mann's set are on this:

R-3165489-1326707254.jpeg.jpg

Two tracks from the Jimmy Smith jam session and 4 other tracks are on this:

R-3706099-1562508585-8309.jpeg.jpg

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:51 PM, jazzcorner said:

Thats what I have collected so far

CD-R    Giants of Jazz    Tour De Force    1969    Moon Records    006-2
LP    Giants of Jazz    Giants of Jazz in Berlin    1971    Emarcy(jap)    10108
LP     Giants of Jazz    Bob Fathers (Winding/Monk/Stitt/Blakey/McKibbon)    1971    Joker(jap)    142(2)
CD-R    Giants of Jazz    Giants of Jazz + Dizzie Gillespie Quintet - live -    1971-74    Jazz Door    1277
LP     Giants of Jazz    The Giants of Jazz    1972    Atlantic(2)    2-905
 LP    Giants of Jazz    Giants of Jazz in Switzerland    1972    Emarcy(jap)    10090
CD    Giants of Jazz    Live at the 1972 Monterey Jazz Festival    1972    MJF Records    08807230..

.. Dear Mr 'Jazzcorner' , I only hope that this 'extra-lists' can be of some help for you to search, looking for these other Live sessions, concerts of..: The Giants Of Jazz,,.. These CD's-Taped concerts are not in my own ,dvd+cd, lists-collections. Ciao fabio ,Roma - fabiodrummy@gmail.com  

Giants of Jazz ,, Pori  ,, Finland 1971-10-27
Dizzy Gillespie- tp, Kai Winding- tb, Sonny Stitt- as, ts, Thelonious Monk- p,
Al McKibbon- b, Art Blakey- d. 01. Blue & Boggie 12:02
The Giants of Jazz Olympia Paris, France October 27, 1972 -Radio, A-
Dizzy Gillespie- [Trumpet] Kai Winding- [Trombone] Sonny Stitt- [Alto
& Tenor Sax]Thelonious Monk- [Piano] Al McKibbon- [Bass] Art Blakey- [Drums]
01. A Night In Tunisia 07:46 02. Lover Man 05:01 03. Don’t Blame Me 04:14
04. I Can’t Get Started 04:43 05. Dexterity 05:48 06. Blue ‘n' Boogie 15:38
07. Wee 09:16 08. Epistrophy 12:4309. ‘Round Midnight (incomplete, fades out under announcer) 06:43
Time 71:50
The Giants of Jazz Théâtre National Populaire, Palais de Chaillot,
Paris, France October 22, 1971  t.,1:39:26
Dizzy Gillespie (trumpet) Sonny Stitt (alto & tenor saxes) Kai Winding
(trombone)Thelonious Monk (piano) Al McKibbon (bass) Art Blakey (drums)
01 Intro (announcer) 2:02 02 Blue 'N' Boogie (Dizzy Gillespie, Frank
Paparelli) 12:15-03 Intro (Gillespie) 2:46 04 'Round Midnight (Thelonious Monk) 7:35
05 I Mean You (Thelonious Monk) 12:10 06 Lover Man (Jimmy Davis, Roger
'Ram' Ramirez, James Sherman) 4:36 07 Woody'n You (Dizzy Gillespie)
10:39-08 Wee (Allen's Alley) (Denzil Best) 10:59 09 Blue Monk (Thelonious Monk) 13:47
10 Tin Tin Deo (Dizzy Gillespie, Chano Pozo) 12:12
11 A Night in Tunisia (Dizzy Gillespie, Frank Paparelli) 10:25
The Giants of JazzOlympia, Paris, France October 27, 1972 ,t.,1:38:38
Dizzy Gillespie (trumpet) Kai Winding (trombone) Sonny Stitt (alto &
tenor saxes)Thelonious Monk (piano) Al McKibbon (bass) Art Blakey (drums)
01 Blue 'n' Boogie (Dizzy Gillespie, Frank Paparelli) 14:29 02
Epistrophy (Thelonious Monk, Kenny Clarke) 12:56 03 Lover Man (Jimmy
Davis, Ram Ramirez, James Sherman) 5:15 04 I Can't Get Started (Vernon
Duke, Ira Gershwin) 4:4905 Stardust (Hoagy Carmichael, Mitchell Parish) 5:59 06 And Then She
Stopped (Dizzy Gillespie) 13:57 07 Straight, No Chaser (Thelonious
Monk) 15:4108 'Round Midnight (Thelonious Monk) 9:28 09 Dexterity (Charlie Parker) 8:21
10 A Night In Tunisia (Dizzy Gillespie, Frank Paparelli) 7:43
Dizzy Gillespie (Giants of Jazz) Théâtre National Populaire, Palais de
Chaillot, Paris, France October 22, 1971  .,t.,1:39:26
Dizzy Gillespie (trumpet) Sonny Stitt (alto & tenor saxes) Kai Winding
(trombone)Thelonious Monk (piano) Al McKibbon (bass) Art Blakey (drums)
01 Intro (announcer) 2:02 02 Blue 'N' Boogie (Dizzy Gillespie, Frank
Paparelli) 12:1503 Intro (Gillespie) 2:46 04 'Round Midnight (Thelonious Monk) 7:35 *
05 I Mean You (Thelonious Monk) 12:10 * 06 Lover Man (Jimmy Davis,
Roger 'Ram' Ramirez, James Sherman) 4:36 * 07 Woody'n You (Dizzy
Gillespie) 10:39 *08 Wee (Allen's Alley) (Denzil Best) 10:59 09 Blue Monk (Thelonious Monk) 13:47
10 Tin Tin Deo (Dizzy Gillespie, Chano Pozo) 12:12 *
11 A Night in Tunisia (Dizzy Gillespie, Frank Paparelli) 10:25 *
* Official tracks no in this seed : Bop Fathers In Paris (Joker (J)
ULS-141/142-KR)
-  ,,  ,,  -

12 minutes ago, Fabio Baglioni said:

.. Dear Mr 'Jazzcorner' , I only hope that this 'extra-lists' can be of some help for you to search, looking for these other Live sessions, concerts of..: The Giants Of Jazz,,.. These CD's-Taped concerts are not in my own ,dvd+cd, lists-collections. Ciao fabio ,Roma - fabiodrummy@gmail.com  

Thanks Fabio,

yes looks very interesting. Any source available?

Have about 1.500 reels/Cassette tapes  with unissued material  and only a small portion digitized I  do collect only specials like the one mentionerd above if the quality is first rate.

Willie

Edited by jazzcorner
format

5 hours ago, Fabio Baglioni  - said:.. Dear Mr 'Jazzcorner' , I only hope that this 'extra-lists' can be of some help for you to search, looking for these other Live sessions, concerts of..:The Giants Of Jazz,,.. These CD's-Taped concerts are not in my own ,dvd+cd, lists-collections. Ciao fabio ,Roma - fabiodrummy@gmail.com  -  Thanks Fabio, yes looks very interesting. Any source available? Have about 1.500 reels/Cassette tapes  with unissued material  and only a small portion digitized I  do collect only specials like the one mentionerd above if the quality is first rate..,Willie..-

Thanks ,Grazie, dear Mr. Willie for this reply/answer to my page-Lists.,!!. As I wrote before , I do not have in my ,dvd+cd, collections those Live sessions of..: The Giants Of Jazz., but I can search, and ask for around to other jazz/fans here in Italy ,which, concerts they may-have.,!!. Well, the sound.music can be of any 'range-qualityes'..: Radio FM , Liste Taped-stage , Sound-Boards 'Taped'.. As ''YOU'' can see/reads and understand all the Live concerts  I 've listed are from the years..: 70's.,and the 'general-audios' recordings  go from.: Good,!! to 'so-and-so'.. Ciao fabio .,Roma ..,-

-  ,,  ,,  -

-