What would you ask Herbie Hancock?

Rooster_Ties

In the spirit of the recent "What would you ask Chick Corea?" thread, where some very interesting questions were posed, I'll ask for a parallel discussion re: Herbie.

Not seeing him soon, nor any chance to ask him anything. Though I have met him twice, and asked him some question about the 2nd Quintet and Plugged Nickel recordings with Miles (had him sign something related to the Plugged Nickel set, forget exactly what, when I saw him on that live duo tour with Whayne. And the SECOND time I heard him, circa 2007? - of course I asked him about 'The Trainwreck' - but it was at some high-donor post concert reception (that Spontooneous and I crashed), that Herbie clearly was kind of annoyed to have had to have attended -- and all he said was that Tyrone Washington was one weird cat, and that was about it (I think this was before I'd actually heard it, or I might have asked something more specific about the date).

ANYWAY, what burning questions, or non-burning, or just smoldering -- would you ask, given the chance??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

The Trainwreck isn't that much of a trainwreck. It's a good record that would've had a fine home on Milestone, Strata-East, or any number of smaller labels focusing on creative black music at the turn of the 70s.

I would ask him who some of his favorite 20th century composers are and were at the time he was recording for Blue Note.

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

The Trainwreck isn't that much of a trainwreck. It's a good record that would've had a fine home on Milestone, Strata-East, or any number of smaller labels focusing on creative black music at the turn of the 70s.

Honestly, I like The Trainwreck even better than Natural Essence. And Herbie's playing, in particular, is VERY interesting, in that All Seeing Eye sort of way (much like his contributions there).

If I won the lottery, I'd love to somehow get The Trainwreck liberated with a legit release, including all the alternates.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Before I´d ask him a question I´d tell him that I love everything he has done, all his musical projects.
I´d avoid to ask him about Miles because this might be questions asked too many times. Though I´m most interested in so called acoustic jazz, it´s natural I also listened much to stuff like "Headhunters". That was the times when I grew up,  and I was aware of both  Hancock´s : The nice, and neatly dressed kid from 1963 that played so beautiful piano with Miles, and the still very young afro-look styled Hancock from 1973, 74. And he reinvented acoustic jazz in 1976 with the first edition of VSOP.

So, what might I ask him ?  He´s a genius, he has it all and I just might say I want to thank him for everything.