Obscure Albums You've Heard and Think Everyone Else Should

Dan Gould

Inspired by a look back at Workshop Jazz releases and in opposition to this oldie but goodie thread:

What obscurity have you heard that you were knocked out by and wish was much, much better known.

Number one for all-time for me is Right Side of Lefty Edwards (Workshop Jazz). Lovely sax tone, wonderful playing and an inspired performance of "Fly Me to the Moon" as a ballad.

And one brought to my attention on the "Private Press Recordings" thread,

Ben Webster, In Hot House w.Tete Montoliu

What about you? I need some new targets on discogs and ebay. :g

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan hipped me to one - Harlem One More Time Live at Pluckemin! (Harlem One More Time)

Norris Turney (alto) Bobby Ashton (tenor) Taft Jordan (trumpet) Benny Morton (trombone) Norman Simmons (piano) Al Casey (guitar) Johnny Williams (bass) Ronnie Cole (drums)

This is a totally badass record, imo.

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

Ray Pizzi Quartet "Espressivo" (Discovery)         1982

https://www.discogs.com/de/Ray-Pizzi-Quartet-Espressivo/release/3542756

Don't know that one but I've looked at the Discovery label on discogs many times, wondering what joys the catalog might hold. I've only a few but many look intriguing, and they don't seem terribly overpriced. 

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Don't know that one but I've looked at the Discovery label on discogs many times, wondering what joys the catalog might hold. I've only a few but many look intriguing, and they don't seem terribly overpriced. 

Also the Ray Pizzi platter is available for little money .... bought it as new release - those were the days ....

Edited by soulpope

Dan -- I'm not sure whether these are truly obscure. (Maybe not!)  But they don't seem to be talked about much, and they've all given me lots of enjoyment.

Richie Beirach - Breathing of Statues (CMP / Magenta) -- One of Beirach's solo masterpieces. Strong classical influence -- e.g., Scriabin, Rachmaninov -- seamlessly blended with jazz.

Bob Moses - When Elephants Dream of Music (Gramavision) -- Very persuasive large ensemble writing & performance. Go for the CD because it has three excellent bonus tracks. The titles will you a sense of the tone of the music:  "Everybody Knows When You're Up and In," "Embraceable Jew," "Bugs Bunny," and "Ripped van Winkle."

Bucky Pizzarelli with Bud Freeman - Buck & Bud (Flying Dutchman) -- Duos that just feel right.

Mike Richmond - Dream Waves (Sonet / Inner City) -- This trio was Stan Getz's rhythm section (at that time): Richmond with Andy LaVerne & Billy Hart.

Timeless All Stars - Timeless Heart (Timeless) -- with Bobby Hutcherson, Harold Land, Curtis Fuller, Cedar Walton, Buster Williams & Billy Higgins. Not at all the by-the-numbers all-star jam session you might expect; instead, there's a kind of effortless, subtle vibe somewhat akin to the MJQ. Strong compositions, vital playing.

Edited by HutchFan

Barbara Dane, Livin' With The Blues (Dot)

Don't think its seen legit CD reissue, but band includes Hines, Plas Johnson, and Benny Carter exclusively on trumpet.

Oh! Oh! OH OH! </Horschack>

Hank Marr Sounds from the Marr-Ket Place (King)

W. Blood Ulmer on guitar

1 hour ago, felser said:

R-3611481-1412087168-4416.jpeg.jpg

Asha

Anything paired with that McNeill has to be worth looking into, thanks

and whilst we're at it why not mention the other McNeill's Washington Square and Tanner Suite. Both available as affordable Universal Sounds reissues rather than bank-busting originals

I'll also put a shout in for an absolute favourite, Marc Levin Ensemble - Songs, Dances and Prayers. Again the reissue by Centrifuga will save you much £££ on the original. It's a great reissue job all round with involvement of Levin himself

1 hour ago, Niko said:

don't know where I picked this up but:

Hank Marr Sounds from the Marr-Ket Place (King)

is not only Blood Ulmer on guitar but also George Adams on tenor, right?

My info was Rusty Bryant with Ulmer.  Listening to the other King records with Bryant I am inclined to say its him.

Wow, some obscure stuff indeed.  I've been listening to jazz for 36 years, and most of the records listed are just...obscure.

How about New and Old Gospel by Jackie McLean with Ornette on trumpet?   I know I had heard about this for a long time before I finally found it, and it may be pretty obscure again.  There was no letdown for me.  This is very interesting and enjoyable stuff.  

41F1r0rZq-L._SY355_.jpg

I didn't even consider myself a fan.  A CD store was at the last day of its closeout sale - all remaining discs for $1 each.  Not much was left, but there was a stack of this one.  They were also playing it in the store and that sold me right away.  This record has been in very regular rotation ever since, one of the most beautiful and emotionally-riveting collections of music that I know.  It might have been my best spent dollar.  

Edited by John L

One obscure jazz guitarist from Seattle, Buddy Fite, made a few LPs in 1970 on Cyclone Records, and then never recorded again, except for some small group things recorded live called 'Tasty'. 

The Cyclone records were standards and pop tunes of the time with vanilla string and big band charts that sounded like they were recorded separately.

Fite was unusual because he had a twangy country sound, and played with fingerpicks (because he claimed they prevented him from dropping his picks when he was drunk).

I don't think any of his LPs were made into CDs.

Jimmy Raney's 'Strings and Swings' LP was never made into a CD either, and features him playing his Suite For Guitar and String Quintet, which has elements of Bartok mixed with his subtle style of jazz playing.