Obscure Albums You've Heard and Think Everyone Else Should

Dan Gould

7 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

My info was Rusty Bryant with Ulmer.  Listening to the other King records with Bryant I am inclined to say its him.

Hmm.... I have read that it was George Adams. I hear some of his signature licks, and he was in Marr's band around that time. Maybe I'll compare to some Rusty Bryant later this week.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41QZ68R2NPL._AC_US218_.jpg

Tatro's writing is in the "Birth of the Cool" class, though it has its own rather dour flavor.

Lovely solo work by Don Joseph on "String Fever," one of his best outings on record.

Joe Puma takes a wonderful solo on "Body and Soul" on "Interactions."

5155LtOwn1L._AC_US218_.jpg

51VIUEFXsaL._AC_US218_.jpg

Alto is Lennie Niehaus, trumpet Stu Williamson, drummer is Shelly Manne -- natch.

Wayne take the first solo, Puma's is the second.

From "String Fever":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ6CH5iU2AE

Alto solo is Gene Quill, tenor either Caesar DiMauro or Eddie Wasserman, Joseph on trumpet.

My favorite Tatro piece:

Love that French horn call about two thirds of the way through. Bob Enevoldson on valve trombone (his solo probably written out by Tatro), Joe Maini alto, Ralph Pena bass.

12 hours ago, SMB1968 said:

a3425833561_16.jpg

Really pleased, and a little surprised, to see that listed. It's such a strong album and was my introduction to both Vosloo and Hanslip both of whom have been worth following since.

Nice choice!

15 hours ago, B. Clugston said:

+1 :tup:tup:tup

Another good vibes record no one talks about is Terry Gibbs, El Nutto (Limelight), with Alice McLeod.

Another fan of El Nutto here. Any other Gibbs you'd recommend as similar? I've checked a few samples but not found anything that grabs me quite as much yet

Edited by mjazzg

11 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

From "String Fever":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ6CH5iU2AE

Alto solo is Gene Quill, tenor either Caesar DiMauro or Eddie Wasserman, Joseph on trumpet.

My favorite Tatro piece:

Love that French horn call about two thirds of the way through. Bob Enevoldson on valve trombone (his solo probably written out by Tatro), Joe Maini alto, Ralph Pena bass.

I really like that Tatro album!!

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Tiny Grimes - Profoundly Blue (Muse). Vinyl only (still) and not in the best sound, typical for 1973, but great playing. Killer band too.

20160304_4a773a.jpg

Now that's what I'm talkin' about for my "deeper into the collection" thread. Thanks Kevin.

Another one that I often recommend but haven't in a while is Danny Gatton & Joey DeFrancesco's "Relentless" (Big Mo Records). CD only. Smokin' disc! Their take on "Broadway" is incredible, particularly DeFrancesco's organ solo.

And FWIW, if you want to go "full-Gatton", follow this up with his "New York Stories (Blue Note). :)

"The Big Challenge" -- an all-star date (Cootie Williams, Rex Stewart, Coleman Hawkins, Bud Freeman, J.C. Higginbotham, Lawrence Brown, Hank Jones, Bill Bauer, Milt Hinton, Gus Johnson) that worked like gangbusters. Both Singer and Shavers are in great form on "Blue Stompin'."

51fCEhX6b8L._AC_US218_.jpg

51a2kJCixWL._AC_US218_.jpg

Probably the best iteration of the NYC studio denizens of the late '50s band. Excellent Bill Potts charts, terrific Charlie Persip.

51+rwXGu0lL._AC_US218_.jpg

Try this one; you'll be surprised. Scott had his own thing, and it was good.

51h3H8GGhQL._AC_US218_.jpg

Perhaps the best Scott LaFaro on record.

51zht6w8ASL._AC_US218_.jpg

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

yeah that's a wonderful album.

For me,

Ric Colbeck: The Sun Is Coming Up (Fontana, UK)

Jym Young: Puzzle Box (Polydor, GER)

Yes on the Colbeck - one day I'll own the LP (the day my lottery ticket comes up). Don't know the Young at all

3 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Another one that I often recommend but haven't in a while is Danny Gatton & Joey DeFrancesco's "Relentless" (Big Mo Records). CD only. Smokin' disc! Their take on "Broadway" is incredible, particularly DeFrancesco's organ solo.

And FWIW, if you want to go "full-Gatton", follow this up with his "New York Stories (Blue Note). :)

I have both, and second your recommendation. No idea why that "New York Stories" CD didn't get more attention.

72141.jpg

Bu%2BPleasant%2BAuction%2B2.jpg

Yeah, there will be singing, and yeah, it might get cringe-y for some listeners, but there's not all THAT much of it, and look at that lineup, THAT'S what you get. And as shaky as Ms. Pleasant's vocals might be, that's how solid her organ playing was.

FLAYVA!!!

Oh yeah, this one turned out to be quite fun. Initial skepticism quickly overcome.

19899239.jpg

3 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

"The Big Challenge" -- an all-star date (Cootie Williams, Rex Stewart, Coleman Hawkins, Bud Freeman, J.C. Higginbotham, Lawrence Brown, Hank Jones, Bill Bauer, Milt Hinton, Gus Johnson) that worked like gangbusters. Both Singer and Shavers are in great form on "Blue Stompin'."

51fCEhX6b8L._AC_US218_.jpg

51a2kJCixWL._AC_US218_.jpg

Probably the best iteration of the NYC studio denizens of the late '50s band. Excellent Bill Potts charts, terrific Charlie Persip.

51+rwXGu0lL._AC_US218_.jpg

Try this one; you'll be surprised. Scott had his own thing, and it was good.

51h3H8GGhQL._AC_US218_.jpg

Perhaps the best Scott LaFaro on record.

51zht6w8ASL._AC_US218_.jpg

I worked with the trumpet player/arranger, Ronnie Woellner from that Bobby Scott LP, but he was playing piano at this point, because his front teeth were all knocked out by some type of accident.

He must have been a good trumpet player, because he placed very high on a DB poll in the trumpet category back when the Bobby Scott LP came out.

He didn't have great chops on the piano, but he was some type of harmonic genius as far as substitute changes were concerned, and I still play some of his changes on tunes today.

The Potts LP was one of the few LPs two of my faves, Phil Woods and Bill Evans played together on. Another one was Geo. Russell's NY, NY, which featured Woods, Trane and Evans.

The Potts album was, I believe, the only one on which the full NYC top-drawer studio sax section of the time appeared: Woods, Gene Quill, Al Cohn, Zoot Sims, Sol Schlinger; trombones:  Bob Brookmeyer, Earl Swope, Frank Rehak, Jimmy Cleveland, Rod Levitt; trumpets: Art Farmer, Bernie Glow, Charlie Shavers, Harry Edison, Marky Markowitz; Evans, George Duvivier,  Charlie Persip, Herbie Powell (guitar).

I've been told that Persip unavoidably was late getting to the date and sight-read everything. OTOH, a musician-friend in the know told me that everyone would have been sight-reading on a date like that. Nonetheless, Persip is quite something here. And in any case, there were three days of recording.

Markowitz (gorgeous on "My Man's Gone Now"), Swope, and perhaps Powell were DC-associates of Potts.

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

The Potts album was, I believe, the only one on which the full NYC top-drawer sax section of the time appeared: Woods, Gene Quill, Al Cohn, Zoot Sims, Sol Schlinger; trombones:  Bob Brookmeyer, Earl Swope, Frank Rehak, Jimmy Cleveland, Rod Levitt; trumpets: Art Farmer, Bernie Glow, Charlie Shavers, Harry Edison, Marky Markowitz; Evans, George Duvivier,  Charlie Persip, Herbie Powell (guitar).

I've been told that Persip unavoidably was late getting to the date and sight-read everything. OTOH, a musician-friend in the know told me that everyone would have been sight-reading on a date like that. Nonetheless, Persip is quite something here. And in any case, there were three days of recording.

Markowitz (gorgeous on "My Man's Gone Now"), Swope, and perhaps Powell were DC-associates of Potts.

I have this on CD with a different cover.

potts_bill~_jazzsoulo_101b.jpg

Under $10 at Bull Moose Music: http://www.bullmoose.com/p/13512402/potts-bill-and-big-band-jazz-soul-of-porgy-and-bess?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpYOuj6b41gIVFyNoCh27SgVlEAQYAyABEgKJG_D_BwE

Jackie rips my heart out on "Beau Jack" and "Help." Excellent raw Bill Hardman, too.

51t1-RKiHCL._AC_US218_.jpg

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Yes, that's a copy of the original LP cover -- a muli-fold affair with lots of photos. Sadly the master tapes were lost, and the CD reissue was dubbed from clean LPs by Jack Towers. My memory is that the sound on the United Artists LP was better than on the CD, but I'll take it.