Obscure Albums You've Heard and Think Everyone Else Should

Dan Gould

On 16/10/2017 at 7:06 PM, Dan Gould said:

My info was Rusty Bryant with Ulmer.  Listening to the other King records with Bryant I am inclined to say its him.

Me too.

Very nice album.

These two are in my priority pile to rip.

One I bought from Dan several years ago is Perri Lee's 'A night at Count Basie's' with Eddie Chamblee and John Kreigh. Perri was on some of the tracks of "Sonny Stitt & the top brass' on Atlantic a few years later.

Another goodie is Calvin Newborn's 'From the Hip', recorded in London in 1982, when Calvin was over there with Hank Crawford and David Newman. That has Hank on piano, Harvey Weston (b), Danny Adler (rh g) and Steve McCraven (d). It's on Rooster Jazz.

MG

On 17/10/2017 at 1:25 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Tiny Grimes - Profoundly Blue (Muse). Vinyl only (still) and not in the best sound, typical for 1973, but great playing. Killer band too.

20160304_4a773a.jpg

Bloomin' brilliant album!

On 17/10/2017 at 5:20 PM, JSngry said:

72141.jpg

Bu%2BPleasant%2BAuction%2B2.jpg

Yeah, there will be singing, and yeah, it might get cringe-y for some listeners, but there's not all THAT much of it, and look at that lineup, THAT'S what you get. And as shaky as Ms. Pleasant's vocals might be, that's how solid her organ playing was.

FLAYVA!!!

And this.

And not to forget Lockjaw's 'Heavy hitter'. Has that EVER been mentioned here? Or 'My buddy: Sonny Stitt plays for Gene Ammons'?

Muse made an awful lot of very, very good records. I guess Joe Fields still remembers everything Bobby Weinstock told him.

MG

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

For people who may not be familiar with the derivation of the name:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spindletop

https://www.priweb.org/ed/pgws/history/spindletop/spindletop.html

OstebeeDerricks.jpg

Thanks for sharing that, Jim.  I had no idea.  If anything, I assumed it had something to do with sewing machines.  Not quite! :P

2 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

And not to forget Lockjaw's 'Heavy hitter'. Has that EVER been mentioned here? Or 'My buddy: Sonny Stitt plays for Gene Ammons'?

Muse made an awful lot of very, very good records. I guess Joe Fields still remembers everything Bobby Weinstock told him.

MG

Yes!  I think The Heavy Hitter is one of Jaws' best!  :tup  

61Pwc2exKfL._SS400.jpg

Edited by HutchFan

I've always felt that the two secret ingredients on "The Big Challenge" were Billy Bauer and Gus Johnson. Had no idea beforehand that Bauer was a terrific rhythm guitarist, and Johnson, wow -- crisp, powerful, unafraid to kick things along forcefully.

Also, Mark, do you know the Jazztone Henderson Reunion album, with Stewart, Higginbotham, Hawkins, Ben Webster et al? A bit ragged at times but full of zest.

51uQ4faGW-L._AC_US218_.jpg

3 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

One I bought from Dan several years ago is Perri Lee's 'A night at Count Basie's' with Eddie Chamblee and John Kreigh. Perri was on some of the tracks of "Sonny Stitt & the top brass' on Atlantic a few years later.

MG

Still hoping to find that other Perri Lee, with Curtis Amy, wasn't it?

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Thanks for sharing that, Jim.  I had no idea.  If anything, I assumed it had something to do with sewing machines.  Not quite! :P

Spindletop was an Austin label, looks like they had distribution by Rounder, probably for the other items in their catalogue. I never knew this one existed until long after its fact.

https://www.discogs.com/label/85898-Spindletop-Records

This particular album was recorded in Dallas, a fact that escaped be until just now!

3 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

I've always felt that the two secret ingredients on "The Big Challenge" were Billy Bauer and Gus Johnson. Had no idea beforehand that Bauer was a terrific rhythm guitarist, and Johnson, wow -- crisp, powerful, unafraid to kick things along forcefully.

Also, Mark, do you know the Jazztone Henderson Reunion album, with Stewart, Higginbotham, Hawkins, Ben Webster et al? A bit ragged at times but full of zest.

51uQ4faGW-L._AC_US218_.jpg

I have & enjoy both of those.

How about this gem?

land_harold_peacemake_101b.jpg

Harold Land Quintet - The Peace-Maker (Cadet, 1968)

One of the many excellent Harold Land - Bobby Hutcherson collaborations.  

I know this record has been reissued in Japan, but I don't think it's ever been released in any digital format in the U.S. or Europe.

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

How about this gem?

land_harold_peacemake_101b.jpg

Harold Land Quintet - The Peace-Maker (Cadet, 1968)

One of the many excellent Harold Land - Bobby Hutcherson collaborations.  

I know this record has been reissued in Japan, but I don't think it's ever been released in any digital format in the U.S. or Europe.

Excellent set, I have one of the Japanese CD's of it.  The one idea I ever submitted to Mosaic was for a Hutcherson-Land box to include this, the Land Mainstream dates with Hutcherson, and the Hutcherson Blue Notes with Land (and grab that one great live cut from ENJA).  They said they were going to try, but I guess the cross-licensing was prohibitive.

On 10/17/2017 at 4:27 PM, clifford_thornton said:

yeah that's a wonderful album.

For me,

Ric Colbeck: The Sun Is Coming Up (Fontana, UK)

Jym Young: Puzzle Box (Polydor, GER)

Yes, the Ric Colbeck LP is a great one.   

To be honest: I wouldn't nominate the Jym Young LP, which is neither obscure (fairly easy to find, at least here in Europe) nor musically exceptional. Maybe I was disappointed by the contrast between the promise of the group's name ("San Francisco Avant Garde") and the actual music... It's a decent album, but Dewey Redman's "Look For The Black Star", on which Young also plays, is a much better album and very much harder to find (the original Fontana issue).

Don't know about any album she made with Curtis Amy. The only Amy-led albums I've ever heard are the ones for PJ, Verve and Fresh Sound. But I think there was one for Colloseum. Is it this one you're thinking of?

MG

PS Oh, I see I didn't hit the quote button. I was referring to Perri Lee.

MG

Don't know about any album she made with Curtis Amy. The only Amy-led albums I've ever heard are the ones for PJ, Verve and Fresh Sound. But I think there was one for Colloseum. Is it this one you're thinking of?

MG

PS Oh, I see I didn't hit the quote button. I was referring to Perri Lee.

MG

I strongly recall hearing of a Perri Lee recording with a favorite tenor -  I was totally 100% sure that  you had told me of this, MG, especially since as you recall I was the source of the Night at Count Basie's LP.

And after some googling, I am virtually certain this is the one you told me about:

https://www.discogs.com/Perry-Lee-Blackwell-Presenting-Perry-Lee-Blackwell/release/7112665

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I strongly recall hearing of a Perri Lee recording with a favorite tenor -  I was totally 100% sure that  you had told me of this, MG, especially since as you recall I was the source of the Night at Count Basie's LP.

And after some googling, I am virtually certain this is the one you told me about:

https://www.discogs.com/Perry-Lee-Blackwell-Presenting-Perry-Lee-Blackwell/release/7112665

Well, stone me. Seeing the name Perri Lee Blackwell, does bring it back.

Well, I had a look at Curtis Amy on Discogs and found this that I've never seen, but heard of:

R-6121710-1411592841-6318.jpeg.jpg

I was confused about a Coliseum LP; that's by Don Randi with Amy as a sideman.

R-4341245-1362252992-5293.jpeg.jpg

Oh well...

MG

Well, stone me. Seeing the name Perri Lee Blackwell, does bring it back.

Well, I had a look at Curtis Amy on Discogs and found this that I've never seen, but heard of:

R-6121710-1411592841-6318.jpeg.jpg

the line-up has some intriguing names in it...

Curtis Amy soprano and tenor saxophones
Warren Gale, Jr. trumpet
Lester Robertson trombone
Horace Tapscott piano
Eddie Mathias bass
Mel Lee drums
Onzy Matthews arranger

1 hour ago, Niko said:

the line-up has some intriguing names in it...

Curtis Amy soprano and tenor saxophones
Warren Gale, Jr. trumpet
Lester Robertson trombone
Horace Tapscott piano
Eddie Mathias bass
Mel Lee drums
Onzy Matthews arranger

YMMV but this is the last Amy I reach for.  Haven't heard the Jungle LP though so maybe that would be dead last.

Warren Gale...interesting career in its own way...Bay Area stalwart, slightly progressive player, worked with Joe a lot(?) for a while, and yet(?) found playing a dominant role in some late-60s/early-70s Kenton bands, where he played the same way he always played.

What's he playing on these Amy dates? Just parts?

Just arrived today. Katz's modern classical chops as a writer are considerable, and as he says in the notes, he isn't interested in "bridging the gap" between the two musics but in writing the music that he feels he needs to write -- this by contrast with a fair number of West Coast guys in the '50s who kept tossing in quasi-fugal episodes in the name of classiness, or so it seemed. There's none of that in Katz. He was a serious cat, Katz was -- not a heavyweight but certainly no tiddly-widdler; his music had its own flavor and asks for no "'Hey, I went to Juilliard' special credit." And on his various features on this album, Paul Horn acquits himself quite well.

P.S. Katz did not go to Juilliard, just an expression.

51k1QP4qpAL._AC_US218_.jpg