Obscure Albums You've Heard and Think Everyone Else Should

Dan Gould

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

He did not go to Juilliard, but iirc, he worked with Liberace before he worked with Chico!

That was French horn player John Graas, whom Chico had planned to use, who left L.A. with the Liberace show. Katz had been working with Chico on piano and said to him "Before I hang up my gloves I'd like to play a little jazz on the cello." Voila!

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

whoa....had forgotten all about that one...got a 4 or 5 star review in DB, don't know that I've ever seen it, know that I've never heard it.

One pretty awesome cut out on youtube.  Would love to have this, or at least hear the rest!

On 10/16/2017 at 6:30 AM, John L said:

41F1r0rZq-L._SY355_.jpg

I didn't even consider myself a fan.  A CD store was at the last day of its closeout sale - all remaining discs for $1 each.  Not much was left, but there was a stack of this one.  They were also playing it in the store and that sold me right away.  This record has been in very regular rotation ever since, one of the most beautiful and emotionally-riveting collections of music that I know.  It might have been my best spent dollar.  

Randy is pretty special.   Q

On 18.10.2017 at 10:59 PM, JSngry said:

..... only that Crown would often (enough) release cuts leased(?) from other labels. But maybe Chico cut a deal years later, he had resources, I believe.

I doubt that everything that everything Crown issued was properly leased - if so, there would have been no need for re-titling of tracks and such (this happened with some Cal Tjader tracks they used). The tracks for their compilations were selected by weird criteria.

22 hours ago, Joe said:

a1400445604_16.jpg

https://vsoprecords.bandcamp.com/album/v-s-o-p-127-cd-the-david-angel-big-band-camshafts-and-butterflies

Nice Gil Evans-esque work from the man who handled the arrangements for Love's FOREVER CHANGES.

Great album. They let you listen to the entire record. In Angel's long bio they never mentioned Arthur Lee, Love or Forever Changes.

There's a good account of Angel's sessions with Lee for the FC album in the bio of Arthur Lee, Forever Changes.

Thanks for the link!