Obscure Albums You've Heard and Think Everyone Else Should

Dan Gould

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray Crawford's Candid LP, which was not issued at the time - must have been pretty frustrating for him. It was finally issued in Japan in the 1980's, and then on a Candid CD (which sounds considerably better). Nice original tunes, great sidemen (Johnny Coles, Cecil Payne, Junior Mance, Ben Tucker, Frankie Dunlop). 

R-6895746-1428984532-1898.jpeg.jpgR-6169110-1420732545-2690.jpeg.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Ray Crawford's Candid LP, which was not issued at the time - must have been pretty frustrating for him. It was finally issued in Japan in the 1980's, and then on a Candid CD (which sounds considerably better). Nice original tunes, great sidemen (Johnny Coles, Cecil Payne, Junior Mance, Ben Tucker, Frankie Dunlop). 

R-6895746-1428984532-1898.jpeg.jpg

Beautiful cover art ....

Here's a few more recordings that I find extremely enjoyable that could be on the more obscure side...

Billy Strayhorn - Cue For Saxophone. This has been issued on many labels over the years but I think Felstead was first. It used to be and may still be very hard to find on CD. This band swings like crazy. Felstead is also the label that has one of Coleman Hawkins' more obscure dates - "The High And Mighty Hawk", which is one of my favorite Hawk CDs when I want to hear him play some blues.

Cue_for_Saxophone.jpg

Bunky Green - Healing The Pain (Delos). Just a beautiful recording by Green. I believe that both his parents had just died, putting extra meaning into pieces like, "The Thrill Is Gone", "Who Can I Turn To" & "Goodbye". On "Who Can I Turn To", you can almost hear his sax crying for him. Just so sad but also beautiful.

58972502.jpg

Walter Norris - Sunburst (Concord). Joe Henderson is the sole horn for this quartet and what a horn he is. Norris has a nice touch on the piano too. He plays one tune with the trio only and several other tunes have a nice long piano intro. Their cover of "Naima" is as good as it gets. This CD is so obscure that the Joe Henderson discography page doesn't list it. :) I e-mailed them today about it.

4177FYWT41L.jpg

Uri Caine - Toys (JMT/Winter & Winter). Killer band - Caine on piano; Dave Douglas, trumpet; Don Byron, bass clarinet; Josh Roseman, trombone; Gary Thomas, tenor sax, flute; Dave Holland, bass; Ralph Peterson, Jr., drums; Don Alias, percussion. A few tunes turn outward a bit if that bothers you. If you like this, try Caine's "Sphere Music". Both are fun dates that you'll find yourself playing again.

Toys_%28Uri_Caine_album%29.jpg

11 hours ago, mikeweil said:

R-6895746-1428984532-1898.jpeg.jpgR-6169110-1420732545-2690.jpeg.jpg

Great record. I found it on CD at a used record store for $2. They also had a CD by Calvin Newborn for the same price.When I picked that up, I realized musical talent isn't necessarily genetic...

5 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Walter Norris - Sunburst (Concord). Joe Henderson is the sole horn for this quartet and what a horn he is. Norris has a nice touch on the piano too. He plays one tune with the trio only and several other tunes have a nice long piano intro. Their cover of "Naima" is as good as it gets. This CD is so obscure that the Joe Henderson discography page doesn't list it. :) I e-mailed them today about it.

4177FYWT41L.jpg

His Trio outing "Lush Life" (Concord) from the previous year ain't too shabby either .....

6 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Uri Caine - Toys (JMT/Winter & Winter). Killer band - Caine on piano; Dave Douglas, trumpet; Don Byron, bass clarinet; Josh Roseman, trombone; Gary Thomas, tenor sax, flute; Dave Holland, bass; Ralph Peterson, Jr., drums; Don Alias, percussion. A few tunes turn outward a bit if that bothers you. If you like this, try Caine's "Sphere Music". Both are fun dates that you'll find yourself playing again.

Toys_%28Uri_Caine_album%29.jpg

This CD and Sphere Music are great, and, IMHO, far more interesting than his explorations on Mahler and similar themes that followed. I can see his point, but can't hear the unique engery of that "killer band".

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

This CD and Sphere Music are great, and, IMHO, far more interesting than his explorations on Mahler and similar themes that followed. I can see his point, but can't hear the unique energy of that "killer band".

Until Winter & Winter reissued these two dates with new cover art, they were fetching big bucks on Ebay. I was lucky when a close friend recommended them to me because I've been enjoying them for years. I am pretty sure I saw this band when they toured in support of "Toys" but I don't remember if the entire band was on hand. I certainly don't remember Holland on the bass that night.

I never bought any of those classically-themed releases by Caine after hearing a few pieces. Not really my style.

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Until Winter & Winter reissued these two dates with new cover art, they were fetching big bucks on Ebay. I was lucky when a close friend recommended them to me because I've been enjoying them for years. I am pretty sure I saw this band when they toured in support of "Toys" but I don't remember if the entire band was on hand. I certainly don't remember Holland on the bass that night.

I never bought any of those classically-themed releases by Caine after hearing a few pieces. Not really my style.

The Mahler is very good IMO.

I've sung Clare Fischer's praises here before -- but his music seems to fit the description "Obscure but Deserving of Wider Recognition" to a T.  soulpope is the one who hipped me to Fischer and his solo-piano LP Alone Together, originally issued on MPS. It isn't a particularly well-known record (though it should be!), but it is easy to find. It was issued on Discovery vinyl here in the U.S., and it's currently available on a CD issued by Fischer's estate. You can even download it from emusic.com.

After hearing Alone Together, I was so impressed by Fischer that I tracked down a bunch of his albums. I was especially knocked out by his solo-piano recordings on Revelation, the tiny California label that's probably best-known for releasing Warne Marsh's Ne Plus Ultra. Unfortunately, Fischer's Revelation LPs are WELL off-the-beaten path, some pretty obscure stuff. I don't think they've ever been reissued in any format.

Fischer's solo-piano Revelation LPs are:  

- Reclamation Act Of 1972! (rec. 1970, 71)
- The State of His Art (rec. 1973)
- Jazz Song (rec. 1973)
- Head, Heart and Hands (rec. 1970, 73)

In this piano-phile's opinion, all of these are superb and well worth seeking out -- especially if you dig players who do quiet but interesting things with harmony. That's Fischer's bread and butter.

Edited by HutchFan

7 hours ago, sgcim said:

Great record. I found it on CD at a used record store for $2. They also had a CD by Calvin Newborn for the same price.When I picked that up, I realized musical talent isn't necessarily genetic...

I had some interactions with Ray Crawford in the '70s and he was indeed frustrated about the Candid date - he didn't even have a copy of the session. Through some contacts I was able to get him 7.5 ips tapes of the date. He was overjoyed. I have a letter of thanks somewhere.

3 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I had some interactions with Ray Crawford in the '70s and he was indeed frustrated about the Candid date - he didn't even have a copy of the session. Through some contacts I was able to get him 7.5 ips tapes of the date. He was overjoyed. I have a letter of thanks somewhere.

Great record.  Was he happier with the cd? 

On 10/23/2017 at 3:35 PM, jlhoots said:

Who is Bill Bell?

Bay Area educator (including mine), local legend. Great pianist.   Beloved.  Now remembered with festival bearing his name.  RIP, Bill.

On 10/21/2017 at 9:10 AM, Peter Friedman said:

MI0002451188.jpg

On 10/19/2017 at 5:33 AM, JSngry said:

Going in a different direction, Donal Fox "should be heard" and certainly appears to be obscure.

On 10/19/2017 at 7:58 AM, jlhoots said:

I have

On 10/19/2017 at 7:58 AM, jlhoots said:

I have & enjoy both of those.

MI0001266865.jpg

On 10/18/2017 at 2:33 PM, JSngry said:

Oh, Ellis Marsalis, almost forgot about this one. Duets, unfiltered.

eddie-harris-ellis-marsalis-homecoming.j

On 10/17/2017 at 10:00 AM, Larry Kart said:

Again, not that obscure but not to be missed.

516lZ2pPPoL._AC_US218_.jpg

On 10/16/2017 at 5:59 AM, HutchFan said:

Bucky Pizzarelli with Bud Freeman - Buck & Bud (Flying Dutchman) -- Duos that just feel right.

I've got many on the list.  These I've heard recently enough to "second",.  

One to add from this morning's listening list: Winston Mankunku Ngozi, Yakhal’ Inkomo (1968, with Lionel Pillay, Agrippa Magwaza, Early Mabuza)  

R-928120-1401988502-4226.jpeg.jpgR-928120-1401988517-5332.jpeg.jpg

This is one of the best Latin Jazz albums I know, but nobody ever mentions it. McFarland's arrangements are creative and sensitive, the interplay between him and Scott and the bassist and drummer (Richard Davis, Ron Carter, Mel Lewis) are subtle and superb. IMO McFarland had a deeper understanding of bossa nova than any other jazzman. 

Edited by mikeweil