Obscure Albums You've Heard and Think Everyone Else Should

Dan Gould

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about this one:

I can't even vouch whether "everyone else should hear it" yet but it seems pretty obscure.  And I picked it up with an order of another recommended obscurity, The Incredible John Collins (Nilva). What I am most intrigued by is that side 4 concert which was in Tokyo and features solos by Junior Cook, Blue Mitchell and then-Toshiko Mariano before Bellson and Rich battle it out.

Belson.jpg

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

What I am most intrigued by is that side 4 concert which was in Tokyo and features solos by Junior Cook, Blue Mitchell and then-Toshiko Mariano before Bellson and Rich battle it out.

Belson.jpg

Hmmm....Blue was definitely in Bellson's big band at some point after he moved to L.A., not sure about Junior, but if this is from that period, wouldn't Toshikio have already been married to Lew Tabackin, or at least non-Mariano-ized?

See how these line up:

https://www.discogs.com/Louis-Bellson-His-Band-Gene-Krupa-Louis-Bellson-Big-Band-Jazz-From-The-Summit-The-Mighty-Two/release/9418989

https://www.discogs.com/Louis-Bellson-Gene-Krupa-The-Mighty-Two/release/3055995

And I'll be damned, here we are, Jack Lohnshein cover and all!

https://www.discogs.com/Buddy-Rich-Louis-Bellson-Are-You-Ready-For-This/release/7706666

Recorded in Tokyo, perhaps, in 1961, when Horace was in town?

So, never mind!

img_2900.jpg

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I came soooo close to posting this one but I thought maybe it was just me. :)

I do enjoy this one quite a bit. It was "throw in" when I bought a bunch of Tubby Hayes CDs that came out right around the same time and I play this CD more than the Tubby CDs.

Very intrigued, what about his other date recorded a little later, Africa Calling?

2 hours ago, BillF said:

Africa Calling it is, and it's available, together with Blue Bogey, on Spotify.

Personal touch: pianist Terry Shannon and drummer Bill Eyden are on both dates, bassist Jeff Kline on Africa Calling. I saw Tubby Hayes with these three on several occasions in Manchester during 1961.

5 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Really? There's another one! Ordered.

Just as good as Blue Bogey IMHO and including another London Caribbean jazzer of those days, trumpeter Shake Keane, so called because he had been studying English Literature at London University and was a fan of Will Shakespeare's. 

On 10/28/2017 at 8:00 AM, Pim said:

What about Tchangodei? In my opinion an underrated jazz pianist with a lovely touch. These are my two favorites:

item_73.jpg

This one is one of my all time favorite jazz recordings. I have been searching for a cd version for 8 years now and I still haven’t found one :( the Volcanic label is now defunct. Still dying to get a copy.

Never heard of seen this, and I'm a big Mal Waldron fan.  A trio with two pianos?

8 hours ago, Adam said:

Never heard of seen this, and I'm a big Mal Waldron fan.  A trio with two pianos?

Yes its Mal Waldron in the left channel and Tchangodei is in the right. It’s a great record. Especially Mal’s composition ‘Seagulls of Kristiansund’ this time with Archie Shepps bluesy tone.  Recommended! I am going to a cd/vinyl fair coming Saturday and hope to pick up a cd copy there but to be honest, I don’t think it’s going to happen...

I'm not certain if this has been mentioned in this lengthy thread. But I came across this when I saw it mentioned on the VSOP Records thread. The obvious ones like Conte Candoli, Frank Rossolino, Mel Lewis, Richie Kamuca, Marty Paich, Art Pepper, Herbie Harper usually garner the attention. This date lead by guitarist Dempsey Wright features Richie Kamuca, Victor Feldman, Ben Tucker and Stan Levey. A real nice session I believe people should take a look at especially if you enjoy West Coast Jazz from the 1950's. A real nice surprise for me. 

61HdvK35mgL._SX450_.jpg

642c6c760190b4cba9572b4a8f3230c7.jpg

Charlie Haden & Christian Escoude "Gitane "(All Life AL-001)         1978

A1. Django (John Lewis) 8:56
A2. Bolero (Django Reinhardt) 4:25
A3. Manoir De Mes Rêves (Django Reinhardt) 5:57
A4. Gitane (Charlie Haden) 3:15
B1 . Nuages (Django Reinhardt) 9:00
B2. Dinette (Django Reinhardt) 6:01
B3. Improvisation (Christian Escoude) 2:55
Charlie Haden (b on A1 to A4, B1 to B2), Christian Escoude (g on A1 to A3, B1 to B3

Edited by soulpope

This one came to mind when I stumbled across the original release on discogs.  Brooks was a fine Chicago harp player with a really powerful voice. Recorded as a leader only once and died before the LP was even released.  Fortunately you don't have to pay collector prices, its an obscurity that's available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Lets-Town-Big-Leon-Brooks/dp/B000004BV2

Brooks also appears on Living Chicago Blues Volume 5 and stumbling across this original copy of the LP led me to discover that he recorded three tunes on another blues comp that I am excited to have ordered. 

big leon brooks.jpg