Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, optatio said:

30976885bx.jpg

30976907js.jpg

RENÉ URTREGER – PIERRE MICHELOT – DANIEL HUMAIR. CARLYNE MUSIC CAR 003 [1979]

Reissued as CD2 in:

30976927vw.jpg

HUMAIR - URTREGER - MICHELOT: HUM. SKETCH/HARMONIA MUNDI SKE 333006.08 [1999]

Original release carries hilarious cover art .... outstanding performances indeed ....

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

Does anything on Moers count as obscure?

Back in the days the Moers releases - mostly documenting "free jazz" ensembles touring Europe - were quite popular with the jazz scene over here .... nowadays - also due to no recent reissue programs - also growing extinct ....

The Moers list can go on, but for me, this was - and is - one of the most distinctive, "signature" record ever made by anybody, imo. And if you're like me, you gotta wonder whatever happened to Gerald Veasley, not as in where is he now, but, like, dude, what happened? Odean, otoh, keeps on, god bless Odean Pope.

odean-pope---almost-like-me.jpg

I like that Odean Pope record and saw Gerald Veasley live a couple of times in the 1980s--with John Blake and with McCoy Tyner--he was fantastic.

But now (coming to the Bishop Arts District Theater):

2018 Jazz Series – Jazz Fusion All-Stars

Jazz-Feb-5-300x250.jpgJazz Fusion All-Stars featuring Eric Marienthal, Lao Tizer,
Gerald Veasley & Chieli Minucci
November 10
7:00 pm & 9:45 pm

On 10/17/2017 at 7:27 AM, clifford_thornton said:

For me,

Ric Colbeck: The Sun Is Coming Up (Fontana, UK)

Jym Young: Puzzle Box (Polydor, GER)

:tup Colbeck is the one I thought of as well.

There was almost a CD version (finally!) from Japan last year but unfortunately cancelled, for some reason.

Fwiw, that series (the so called E! Extra Vaganza series) offered nice packaging and the japanese SHM-CD thingy but the few I bought are needledrops!! Spontaneous Music Ensemble's Karyobin for one example. 

Karyobin's another that could be considered obscure. Fortunately, this one has recently been released by Emanem. :tup

Edited by Marzz

1 hour ago, Pim said:

MI0000516409.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

This Soul Note seems to be largely forgotten. Art Davis himself too, except for his contributions to Trane’s music of course. Very nice recording with a killer group: John Hicks, Idris Muhammad and Pharoah Sanders!

Art Davis was my hero since listening first time to "Ole" .... but most of his later recordings left mixed reactions with me (probably I was simply expecting too much ?) ....