Obscure Albums You've Heard and Think Everyone Else Should

Dan Gould

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yoshiaki Okayasu - The Newest Boss Guitar

https://image.space.rakuten.co.jp/lg01/56/0000006856/55/img1b776632zikczj.jpeg

I first heard this years ago in DiskUnion. I knew it was a Blue Note album but just couldn't place it.

Imagine my surprise.

Anyhow, great record. Can't find any clips so I think it qualifies as obscure.

Hey everyone,

First post on this forum.  Some of you may remember me from JazzCorner.  :wub:    I find that I spend a lot of time listening to tunes on Bandcamp.   I hope this is the correct place to share these under the radar and often unknown musicians.   If not, show me where to post so I don't clog up the wrong thread.

a3778802022_16.jpg

Roman Filiu: alto saxophone 
Jerome Sabbagh: tenor saxophone 
Rick Rosato: bass 
Daniel Dor: drums 
Marta Sanchez: piano 

All compositions by Marta Sanchez

credits

released October 1, 2017 

Fresh Sound Records New Talent 
Recorded, mixed and mastered at Big Orange Sheep by Michael Perez Cisneros 
Cover Art by Alicia Martin Lopez 
Pictures by Tayla Nebesky 
Design by Rafa Ross 
Executive Producer: Jordi Pujol

https://martasanchezquintet.bandcamp.com/album/danza-imposible

Thanks Paul.  Here's another gem

The Busker

by Jacob Duncan, John Goldsby, Craig Wagner

a3046371952_16.jpg

Jacob Duncan’s The Busker is a treasure. The protagonists of Duncan’s autobiographical compositions are fellow companions, drifters, and triumphant nomads exclaiming their insignificance. The album balances acute sonic observations of a traveler’s microcosm with grand hints at the struggle to understand the macrocosm. The compositions are melodically-driven, sincere, musical conversations between storytellers. The improvisations are undisguised and earthy, exploring comings and goings, estrangements, and connections. 
Duncan’s arrangements are sometimes sad, sometimes playful, and always original. They are well-served by his masterful companions, John Goldsby on double bass and Craig Wagner on acoustic guitar. It is paradoxical that The Busker, a musical memoir of an 
erican music. Duncan’s compositions are constructed of the greatest melodic aspects of the American songbook and, the intimate, yet universal colloquialisms of the American folk traditions. Despite being instrumentals, each piece evokes the voice of a troubadour lulling the listener into a lucid dream, in which they become the teller of their own tall tales.
credits
released November 18, 2016 

Jacob Duncan - alto saxophone 
John Goldsby - bass 
Craig Wagner - acoustic guitar

https://jacobduncan1.bandcamp.com/album/the-busker

Big Pocket Orchestra

by Melisa Bertossi

a2659593077_16.jpg

released May 1, 2016 

Matias Muñoz: keyboards 
Sergio Lopez: drums and percussion 
Alejandro Mazzoni: bass, double bass, guitar 
Ale Ortega: trombones, accordion, guitar 
Adriano Torregiani: saxophones, flute, harmonica 
Alberto Perez Jordana: trumpets, flugelhorn 
Melisa Bertossi: soprano sax 

Music from movie classics reinvented by the Big Pocket Orchestra ! 
Lots of fun.

https://melisabertossi.bandcamp.com/album/big-pocket-orchestra

On 11/23/2017 at 11:07 AM, Peter Friedman said:

New York Unit - John Hicks, Richard Davis, Tatsuya Nakamura (drums)

0111523.jpg

Nakamura recorded a number of his own albums, especially of interest are one on Nadja and one privately released. He worked quite a bit with Ted Daniel during the late 70s/early 80s.

On 12/1/2017 at 1:09 PM, Coda said:

Thanks Paul.  Here's another gem

The Busker

by Jacob Duncan, John Goldsby, Craig Wagner

a3046371952_16.jpg

Jacob Duncan’s The Busker is a treasure. The protagonists of Duncan’s autobiographical compositions are fellow companions, drifters, and triumphant nomads exclaiming their insignificance. The album balances acute sonic observations of a traveler’s microcosm with grand hints at the struggle to understand the macrocosm. The compositions are melodically-driven, sincere, musical conversations between storytellers. The improvisations are undisguised and earthy, exploring comings and goings, estrangements, and connections. 
Duncan’s arrangements are sometimes sad, sometimes playful, and always original. They are well-served by his masterful companions, John Goldsby on double bass and Craig Wagner on acoustic guitar. It is paradoxical that The Busker, a musical memoir of an 
erican music. Duncan’s compositions are constructed of the greatest melodic aspects of the American songbook and, the intimate, yet universal colloquialisms of the American folk traditions. Despite being instrumentals, each piece evokes the voice of a troubadour lulling the listener into a lucid dream, in which they become the teller of their own tall tales.
credits
released November 18, 2016 

Jacob Duncan - alto saxophone 
John Goldsby - bass 
Craig Wagner - acoustic guitar

https://jacobduncan1.bandcamp.com/album/the-busker

Ordered. Thanks! 

2 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

- Alejandro Espinosa Quartet

with Ralph Llama and Renee Rosnes - Sony (Chile)alejandro-espinosa-1564-like-someone-in-love_chica.jpg

That is so obscure, there doesn't appear to be a copy anywhere on the Internet. In fact, there is no mention of any records with Renee Rosnes & Ralph Lalama playing together that I can find.

Renee Rosnes must like drummer-led dates. She contributes nicely to drummer Klaus Suonsaari's date for Soul Note called "Inside Out".

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

That is so obscure, there doesn't appear to be a copy anywhere on the Internet. In fact, there is no mention of any records with Renee Rosnes & Ralph Lalama playing together that I can find.

Renee Rosnes must like drummer-led dates. She contributes nicely to drummer Klaus Suonsaari's date for Soul Note called "Inside Out".

I received this CD as a gift a few years ago from a good friend who lives in Santiago,Chile  He write about jazz for newspapers, periodicals in that country. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2017 at 0:09 PM, BillF said:

Africa Calling it is, and it's available, together with Blue Bogey, on Spotify.

Image result for wilton gaynair blue bogey

After several weeks of postal delays (ordered Nov. 4th, received December 22nd), I finally got a chance to spin this and I am very glad to have it in my CD rack. I like it as much if not more than "Blue Bogey".

Thanks again for bringing this CD to my attention.

On 1/3/2018 at 0:53 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Image result for wilton gaynair blue bogey

After several weeks of postal delays (ordered Nov. 4th, received December 22nd), I finally got a chance to spin this and I am very glad to have it in my CD rack. I like it as much if not more than "Blue Bogey".

Thanks again for bringing this CD to my attention.

And after a late arriving Amazon gift card I purchased Blue Bogey and Africa Calling as downloads over the weekend; listened this AM and enjoying immensely.

so thanks to all who mentioned this unsung player. May have to see what else is out there now ...