Obscure Albums You've Heard and Think Everyone Else Should

Dan Gould

3 hours ago, mikeweil said:

R-928120-1401988502-4226.jpeg.jpgR-928120-1401988517-5332.jpeg.jpg

This is one of the best Latin Jazz albums I know, but nobody ever mentions it. McFarland's arrangements are creative and sensitive, the interplay between him and Scott and the bassist and drummer (Richard Davis, Ron Carter, Mel Lewis) are subtle and superb. IMO McFarland had a deeper understanding of bossa nova than any other jazzman. 

That documentary on McFarland, This Is Gary McFarland, is finally available on the Fandor channel, but you have to have a subscription.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, sgcim said:

That documentary on McFarland, This Is Gary McFarland, is finally available on the Fandor channel, but you have to have a subscription.

It is available on DVD:

R-7926034-1454187043-5331.jpeg.jpg

5 hours ago, optatio said:

30763477rp.jpg

That quintet was great, even with its other pianist, Marcus Becker, all of their LPs are good but hard to find.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1496260-Klaus-Weiss-Quintet

fb560e3d2e.jpg

Betty Carter & Her Trio "Jazzbuhne Berlin 85"  (CD Repertoire RR4901-CC)

Tracks:
1. One Finger Snap (8:54)
2. What a Little Moonlight Can Do (8:44)
3. The Man I Love (7:01)
4. With No Words (12:00)
5. Caribian Sun (7:30)
6. Every Day I Have is Yours (6:06)
7. My Favourite Things (5:05)
8. Every Time We Say Goodbye (3:57)
9. Sounds (15:08)

Recorded on September 27th 1985 and featuring Betty Carter - both bold and tender - at the height of her powers ....

Edited by soulpope

Obscurity is a tricky word... To many people, Jazz is an obscure musical genre. Some Jazz discs I have were produced in low quantities, but most of us here have probably heard it and may own it. Does that mean it's not obscure to us? :)

There's a CD that I play often but I don't see in the used bins often. It's out of print. The label's out of print. It might be obscure. It might not be. Anyway, I think you should hear this if you haven't already.

061354.jpg

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Obscurity is a tricky word... To many people, Jazz is an obscure musical genre. Some Jazz discs I have were produced in low quantities, but most of us here have probably heard it and may own it. Does that mean it's not obscure to us? :)

There's a CD that I play often but I don't see in the used bins often. It's out of print. The label's out of print. It might be obscure. It might not be. Anyway, I think you should hear this if you haven't already.

061354.jpg

Excellent Rhythm Section ....

I think this one qualifies: there were only 500 copies made don't ask me why. Took me years to find one but was worth the long search.

csm_009_02_9ad432b118.jpg

FLORIAN ARBENZ & LEVEL 4
FEAT. KIRK LIGHTSEY & BENNIE MAUPIN 
meta 009

Release Date: 2001

Florian Arbenz drums
Bennie Maupin sax, bassclarinet
Kirk Lightsey piano
Tibor Elekes bass

On 10/22/2017 at 1:31 PM, sgcim said:

Great album. They let you listen to the entire record. In Angel's long bio they never mentioned Arthur Lee, Love or Forever Changes.

There's a good account of Angel's sessions with Lee for the FC album in the bio of Arthur Lee, Forever Changes.

Thanks for the link!

Odd indeed. But they are great arrangements. http://www.richieunterberger.com/botnick.html

Another one:

R-6275889-1415380806-7925.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Jesse-Powell-Blow-Man-Blow/release/6275889

What about Tchangodei? In my opinion an underrated jazz pianist with a lovely touch. These are my two favorites:

2970180373.png

Hard driven modal freejazz with the wonderful Steve Lacy. The title song is amazing. 

item_73.jpg

This one is one of my all time favorite jazz recordings. I have been searching for a cd version for 8 years now and I still haven’t found one :( the Volcanic label is now defunct. Still dying to get a copy.