Obscure Albums You've Heard and Think Everyone Else Should

Dan Gould

9 hours ago, Utevsky said:

Well this is a cool thread.  I've seen many of my favorite albums here, as well as others I wish I knew or had.

One such album that comes to my mind is "Acting Trio" on BYG, with Andre Maurice, cello; Philippe Mate, tenor; Jean-Pierre Sabar, piano.

acting trio.jpg

I like that record.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 26/10/2017 at 3:45 PM, mikeweil said:

R-928120-1401988502-4226.jpeg.jpgR-928120-1401988517-5332.jpeg.jpg

This is one of the best Latin Jazz albums I know, but nobody ever mentions it. McFarland's arrangements are creative and sensitive, the interplay between him and Scott and the bassist and drummer (Richard Davis, Ron Carter, Mel Lewis) are subtle and superb. IMO McFarland had a deeper understanding of bossa nova than any other jazzman. 

That really SURPRISED me Mike! I've got it but I've found it quite boring. Very, very, low key; something I may play when I want to be engrossed in something else. OK, I know bossa nova is supposed to be self-deprecatory but this seems an extreme version of that. 

MG

On 31/10/2017 at 4:17 PM, Peter Friedman said:

81bT8g7uasL._SX355_.jpg

That's a very nice album. I picked it up in Paris Jazz Corner a coupuole of years ago. My sleeve's different though and the catalogue number - JSP8807. So there are two versions you all can look for.

MG

15 hours ago, soulpope said:

bda273dd7d.jpg

de144cf568.jpg

Lone leader album by the former Betty Carter, Charles Mingus and Dannie Richmond 5tet pianist .... released in 1983 on the truly obscure Cd meinderella label ....

Yeah, never heard of it.

What grabbed me was the dedication. SURELY Bob Azzara was Pat Martino's real name?????? And he AIN'T late yet.

MG

On 10/20/2017 at 4:15 AM, corto maltese said:

To be honest: I wouldn't nominate the Jym Young LP, which is neither obscure (fairly easy to find, at least here in Europe) nor musically exceptional. Maybe I was disappointed by the contrast between the promise of the group's name ("San Francisco Avant Garde") and the actual music... It's a decent album, but Dewey Redman's "Look For The Black Star", on which Young also plays, is a much better album and very much harder to find (the original Fontana issue).

yeah, I suppose it's not all that 'far out' but I think it's a gem of a post-bop date. It's not too common stateside and it doesn't seem like anybody I know has heard of it or at least not heard it, even if it littered the deletion bins in Europe!

Just picked this up (Bennie Maupin Ensemble, "Penumbra" -- Cryptogramophone) and listened to it last night for the first time. IMO the Maupin of 2006 was a much superior player to the Maupin of "Bitches Brew," especially on bass clarinet. Terrific recording too (Nolan Shaheed at No Sound Studio, Pasadena)  and fine work from bassist Darek Oleszkiewicz, a new name to me.

51Ols96FyJL._AC_US218_.jpg

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

Just picked this up (Bennie Maupin Ensemble, "Penumbra" -- Cryptogramophone) and listened to it last night for the first time. IMO the Maupin of 2006 was a much superior player to the Maupin of "Bitches Brew," especially on bass clarinet. Terrific recording too (Nolan Shaheed at No Sound Studio, Pasadena)  and fine work from bassist Darek Oleszkiewicz, a new name to me.

51Ols96FyJL._AC_US218_.jpg

Agreed; that's a good one. :tup 

But I gotta say that I love Maupin's bass clarinet work on BB. ;) 

Edited by HutchFan