Please Help Me Go Deeper Into The Collection

Dan Gould

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I can't believe I am not seeing this in the binder. So I pulled  All Kinds of Weather  and I definitely need to look thru the remaining vinyl, the height of my Garland appreciation came when I was buying a lot of OJC vinyl and I am thinking its possible I did not transfer this one to digital.

Turns out its in the auxiliary binder for when I ran out of room in the G's.

As penance, I shall listen to both. :g

Among the first jazz albums I bought when I started out in the 80s were "Red in Bluesville" and "All kinds of weather" on OJC vinyl. Haven't spun those in 25 years, so I'll do that as soon as possible! 

Just ran across and began listening to this. It's certainly obscure (I'd never heard of it), and so far I'm very impressed. Pieces, several by the late N.O. drummer James Black, are intriguingly complex and unusual, Branford (the only horn) and his father are in very good form. Nothing neo-con here. Delfayo's contribution to the liner notes  (he's also the producer) is typically pompous and hectoring, a la Wynton, but who cares about that. 

515Z0Ly19FL._AC_US218_.jpg

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

If you don't have this one, there is a trio CD on Criss Cross, and some quartet dates on Steeplechase.

MI0000592601.jpg

Well how do I handle this? Manhattan After Hours to hear Barlow, or Manhattan Afternoon to stick with Criss Cross (really thought I had Bluesville Time to begin with)? Perhaps both.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

How about Atlantic?

Hmm let's consider that for Friday listening.

2 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Just ran across and began listening to this. It's certainly obscure (I'd never heard of it), and so far I'm very impressed. Pieces, several by the late N.O. drummer James Black, are intriguingly complex and unusual, Branford (the only horn) and his father are in very good form. Nothing neo-con here. Delfayo's contribution to the liner notes  (he's also the producer) is typically pompous and hectoring, a la Wynton, but who cares about that. 

515Z0Ly19FL._AC_US218_.jpg

I'm assuming this was for my other thread?

2 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

I know you're probably overwhelmed Dan, but this Dexter on Steeplechase is one my personal favorite DG recordings

MI0002376521.jpg?partner=allrovi.com 

Ah yes, with Kenny Drew.  A definite favorite, and too long since I've listened. Thanks John!