Please Help Me Go Deeper Into The Collection

Dan Gould

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, JSngry said:

How about Atlantic?

I fear that Atlantic will reveal the "holes" in the collection, since I'll say up front, no Mingus, no RRK, no Eddie Harris to be found. But since we're only talking about 7-8 hours of listening time I'm sure the requisite number of Atlantics can be found.

The floor is open for Friday.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

I fear that Atlantic will reveal the "holes" in the collection, since I'll say up front, no Mingus, no RRK, no Eddie Harris to be found. But since we're only talking about 7-8 hours of listening time I'm sure the requisite number of Atlantics can be found.

The floor is open for Friday.

Between Fathead and the rest of the Ray Charles nexus, Mose Allison, Milt Jackson, John Coltrane, and some other odds and ends (jazz and R&B, including T-Bone Walker), pretty sure you'll have a days worth.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Between Fathead and the rest of the Ray Charles nexus, Mose Allison, Milt Jackson, John Coltrane, and some other odds and ends (jazz and R&B, including T-Bone Walker), pretty sure you'll have a days worth.

Yeah somebody say "Coltrane Plays the Blues" - haven't heard that in freaking forever. 

And if not T-Bone, Freddie King!

You can go to the Joe Morris Atlantic sides, whether you actually have then on Atlantic or not. Griff!

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

:D .... another rather left field Atlantic release .... :

R-632693-1141066860.jpeg.jpg

oh hell, go to the 2-fer, even if it is on Collectables!

olipha_gras_grassroot_101b.jpg

Dan, if this is not in your collection, I think you will want it to be,

Oh yeah, saw the Oliphant when looking up the Owens and thought, maybe someone will mention these too. :tup

One good thing with the Atlantic reissues they tended to be exact replicas so if all of these are 45 minutes, give or take, there'll be time for more discs tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Oh hell yeah.

I have the And Then Again/Midnight Walk collectables two-fer and also pulled Philly Joe and Elvin Together

Being the Mobley nut that I am, I really wanted to like that Midnight Walk but it rarely gets played in my house. A couple of tracks have rather dated keyboard playing.

For Collectible two-fers, I actually prefer this one:

71KLZ9li0CL._SL1085_.jpg

Note that Collectibles really messed up the track times on that Philly Joe two-fer.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

The Elvin Atlantics are inconsistent, especially And Then Again, but I have Midnight Walk on LP, and either side a couple of times in succession works really well for me every so often. And that one cut, H.M. on F.M., sheeeet, Hank AND Thad. Works for me!

Also, "Dollar Brand" as a sideman on a "normal jazz record", how much of that is there, right?

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

I never thought listening to what I am told to listen to would be so enjoyable.

Well, you're asking good people, that's why it's fun.

Try listening to a "jazz radio station" like KNTU and then see how much fun it is. Not much!