Please Help Me Go Deeper Into The Collection

Dan Gould

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Well, you're asking good people, that's why it's fun.

Try listening to a "jazz radio station" like KNTU and then see how much fun it is. Not much!

Well I think the other part of it is being in the 'mad collector' stage for so long - it means the collection is deep, but many treasures have been buried and forgotten.  

The good people of the board are like pigs pointing out truffles for me, and I'm happily chowing down.

Plenty Plenty Soul is in Friday's stack. 

If you want to "deepen" your Atlantic collection for the next go-round, Nat Adderley's Sayin' Somethin' and Live at Memory Lane will definitely fill that bill, although Sayin' Somethin' is definitely better heard on LP, as the first side is pretty much diposable. The second side, though...tasty! And fine (not great, but fine) Joe Henderson on both.

There's a third Atlantic, Autobiography, that I've never come across. It's a larger ensemble date of Nat's own songbook arranged and conducted by Joe Zawinul, from 1965. I could see that one going any number of ways.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

If you want to "deepen" your Atlantic collection for the next go-round, Nat Adderley's Sayin' Somethin' and Live at Memory Lane will definitely fill that bill, although Sayin' Somethin' is definitely better heard on LP, as the first side is pretty much diposable. The second side, though...tasty! And fine (not great, but fine) Joe Henderson on both.

There's a third Atlantic, Autobiography, that I've never come across. It's a larger ensemble date of Nat's own songbook arranged and conducted by Joe Zawinul, from 1965. I could see that one going any number of ways.

Another thumbs up for "Memory Lane" ....

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:00 AM, JSngry said:

You can go to the Joe Morris Atlantic sides, whether you actually have then on Atlantic or not. Griff!

oh hell, go to the 2-fer, even if it is on Collectables!

olipha_gras_grassroot_101b.jpg

Dan, if this is not in your collection, I think you will want it to be,

Just listened to both, very nice ... was anyone aware that Oliphant is still performing? He's 88 now and led a band at Dizzy's just last month:

http://www.jazz.org/dizzys/events/184538/grassella-oliphant/

(actually according to that link he took 40 years off and returned in 2010.

Anyway - while I continue to enjoy the other Atlantic treasures, let's open up the floor for Monday and let's make the theme "Small Group Swing".

2 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

With Budd Johnson, Benny Morton, Nat Pierce, Tommy Bryant, Oliver Jackson

MI0001459118.jpg

Here's my secret: Roy grates on my ears when he does the high-note thing, so in fact I have no Eldridge leader dates.

Also no John Kirby.

I decided to go searching for appropriate discs and have so far pulled out

Benny Carter Summer Serenade (Storyville)

Benny Carter Another Time, Another Place (Evening Star)

Aurex Jazz Festival '80 Gentlemen of Swing (Carter and Edison)

Sweets at the Haig (Pacific Jazz)

Sweets Edison-Spike Robinson, Just a Bit O' The Blues (Capri)

Bill English (Vanguard)

Scott Hamilton, Radio City, Race Point, Tenor Shoes, After Hours (all Concord)

Johnny Hodges - Wild Bill Davis, Wings and Things (Verve)

Candy Johnson, Candy's Mood (Black and Blue)

Plas Johnson/Red Holloway, Keep that Groove Going (Milestone)

Plas Johnson Grease Patrol

Marian McPartland Plays the Benny Carter Songbook (Concord)

Jay McShann Hootie! (Chiaruscoro)

Jay McShann featuring Plas Johnson (1992 Jazzset broadcast)

Joe Newman, Countin' (World Pacific)
Joe Newman-Joe Wilder, Hangin' Out (Concord)

Vito Price, Swingin The Loop (Argo)

Ike Quebec, Quintets and Swingtet

Paul Quinichette, The Vice Pres

Wailing Buddy Rich / Joe Newman Vanguard

Tadd Schull, Deep Passion (Criss Cross)

Hal Singer, Blue Stompin'

Billy Strayhorn, Cue for Saxophone (Decca London)

Clark Terry Spacemen, Squeeze Me (Chiaruscoro)

Jesper Thilo & The American Stars

Ben Webster, Meets OP, Soulville, Did You Call? (Nessa)

Joe Wilder, Among Friends; Alone with Just My Dreams (Evening Star)

Lester Young In Washington DC 1956

I may make it a Small Group Swing week so suggestions are still welcome.

Do you have the Ellington Small Group Mosaic?

Or this one in some form or fashion?

71aXJLDnHZL._SL1241_.jpg

And if you have the Charlie Christian/Goodman stuff, there that is. I've found myself listening to Christian at the expense of the group, and that's fair to Christian, but not to the groups.

While I'm piling on, any collection of the Basie small groups, be they with Prez or Byas is always a good listen...or if you wnat to stick to impulse!, this one is good enough, although not the same as:

460747.jpg

When I think of "Small Group Swing", my reflex is for groups of more than one horn and some kind of arrangements. Mileages will vary widely on that one, no doubt!

John Kirby was a blast, though. Just sayin'... :)

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

When I think of "Small Group Swing", my reflex is for groups of more than one horn and some kind of arrangements. Mileages will vary widely on that one, no doubt!

Thanks. Probably should have been clearer that I was using "small group swing" as "swing soloist(s) + rhythm as opposed to "bop soloist(s) + rhythm.  Like, say, my list above ...

The Quinichette has a strong Basie feeling

One of the numerous Ruby Braff recordings on Arbor. Braff is among my very favorite players, and almost every one of his recordings are , in my view, damn good.Unknown-4.jpegUnknown-9.jpeg

:tup

One of my favorite Braff albums -- Three different groups, each excellent. The one with Coleman Hawkins and Lawrence Brown! That's Ruby's mother on the cover.

51Y1GuFUR5L._AC_US218_.jpg

The Quinichette has a strong Basie feeling

One of the numerous Ruby Braff recordings on Arbor. Braff is among my very favorite players, and almost every one of his recordings are , in my view, damn good.Unknown-4.jpegUnknown-9.jpeg

Adding Braff & His Buddies, Volume 1 which is the one Arbors disc I have. Thanks Peter.

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

One is never sure with that haphazard Vanguard reissue program if its the same music, but I have pulled out  Nice Work and slotted it after Ruby Braff. Thanks Bill. Would not have spontaneously thought about this one.

Wonderful music! That rhythm section! :excited:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I haven't forgotten this but most of this week has been spent with my own selection of piano trios. That's going to wrap up tomorrow and I thought of a great category for recommendations guaranteed to go deeper into the collection:

Non-Blue Note dates led by Blue Note artists (leaders, that is)