Please Help Me Go Deeper Into The Collection

Dan Gould

Ok, been thinking about a need to go back into the collection, so much music not heard for so long.

So I thought, what about turning over the listening choice to the Big O?

Real simple - name an artist or artist/recording and if I have it, it comes out of the binders or jewel case and goes next in the stack and I'll post in response. 

And if anyone else is looking to give up a little control, just join in and ask for a request. The floor is always open.

For me, its blues and jazz (swing to bop/hard bop but not much beyond, as I imagine many of you know thru all of the years of posting).

You say it, I'll play it (if I got it).

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Baby Face, Face To Face.

OK, that one's pulled. Soon as Hank & Frank (Marr and Foster that is) is over. 

The floor is closed for now but if anyone wants to jump in and get their own listening sent in one direction or another, have at it.

Jackie's Bag

I imprinted on the LP version, so if the CD is not that....Demon's Dance.

Hell, Consequence. Yeah, that one. It's a motherfucker.

It's not 90s, but in another thread, I misremembered and said something about Keystone 3 when I meant New York Scene as being the last "forward" Blakey album, and the only one after the last Prestige. So, that one, if not now, then later.

Recommendations made with a fairly good grasp of what you like and don't.

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

Jackie's Bag

I imprinted on the LP version, so if the CD is not that....Demon's Dance.

Hell, Consequence. Yeah, that one. It's a motherfucker.

It's not 90s, but in another thread, I misremembered and said something about Keystone 3 when I meant New York Scene as being the last "forward" Blakey album, and the only one after the last Prestige. So, that one, if not now, then later.

Recommendations made with a fairly good grasp of what you like and don't.

Hey, I wrote the liner notes for the first issue of "Consequence," on LP in the early '80s. The Japanese got the typewritten pages mixed up, but it's still not impossible to figure out what I wrote.

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

ben_riley-weaver_of_dreams.jpg

featuring Ralph Moore (ts) ....

Excellent ... because I went to listen to this a while back and had playback issues, couldn't extract it and re-burn and thought it was lost forever. Recently installed different audio-extracting software is ripping it like a pro so I can hear this one again. Don't know if I would have thought to try to extract with the new software but your suggestion gave me the idea. :tup

2 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Brian Lynch - this or any you have

1017.jpg

Blues Guitarist?  - Maybe not what you had in mind but it counts 

MI0000054008.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Yes to both John, and I think that will close the floor for today unless someone would like to, you know, pick an actual blues guy. ;)

Albert Collins.

albert-collins-the-cool-sound-of-albert-

First blues record I heard under..."organic" conditions. 17 years old, met a guitar player with real jazz ambitions from Kilgore who lived with his grandmother, who lived kind of back a-ways, and this record was plowed ALL to hell, which was ok, because we were eating Grannie's cornbread, beans, and greens (collard, iirc) while it played. The meat was salt pork. My name's Friday, I'm a cop.

Quite unrelated to all that, look at who the cover artist is!

Well don't have that Collins but I do have Ice Cold Blues which was a Charly R&B comp.  Up next after a Herb Ellis replacement for Nothing But The Blues (I was sure I had it, couldn't find it for the life of me, and now I am thinking it was part of a Mosaic box, that's why I got rid of it ...) .

So I pulled two Herb Ellis Justice Records discs. Really a two-fer I think these belong in the "Obscure" thread too.

Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions this has worked very well so far. And especially a big thank you to John Tapscott for his Brian Lynch recco. Now I remember why that one was in such heavy rotation back when it was new. Amongst his best.

The floor is back open for Wednesday - how about some more blues, a tenor or two and some pianists?

Actually in all seriousness I am open to a Gene Harris request.  Concord-era that is. It's been a while, believe it or not.

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

91umRQY0rpL._SX522_.jpg

I can't believe I am not seeing this in the binder. So I pulled  All Kinds of Weather  and I definitely need to look thru the remaining vinyl, the height of my Garland appreciation came when I was buying a lot of OJC vinyl and I am thinking its possible I did not transfer this one to digital.

Turns out its in the auxiliary binder for when I ran out of room in the G's.

As penance, I shall listen to both. :g