Gord Downie (of Tragically Hip) RIP

ejp626

It's a tough day for fans of Gord Downie and the Tragically Hip (arguably Canadian's most-beloved rock band).  Obit here: https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2017/10/18/tragically-hip-frontman-gord-downie-has-died-band-repiorts.html

It doesn't help much that it has been known for quite some time that he had incurable brain cancer, but he did have a chance to go out for one last Hip tour and say goodbye to the fans.  Many artists don't get that.  

I'm amazed that he found the time to do two last solo projects, as well as that last tour with the band.  

I saw them three times plus a very short outdoor set at Dundas-Yonge Square.  So I was hardly a super fan, but I liked their work quite a bit.  Similar to Tom Petty, basically Downie was, by all accounts, pretty grounded and was a nice guy; he never seemed to lose his contact with his roots and often went the extra mile to satisfy his fans.

One late interview was particularly heart breaking when he revealed that the cancer was affecting his memory.  He had to have teleprompters on the last concert tour.  He was even afraid he would forget his children's names.  Anyway, cancer sucks, though we all know that.

RIP

Edited by ejp626