Bartz/Willis/Williams/Foster : Heads of State

Gheorghe

The best stuff I´ve heard in years.

Gary Bartz is one of the most fascinating musicians from 1970 on and just can play all kinds of styles. He became famous with Miles but as early as 1973, when he recorded "Ode to Super" with Jackie McLean he showed his bop roots and his solo on Bird´s "Red Cross" is one of the highlights of that album.

Larry Willis also became famous when he recorded with Jackie McLean for BN and he is a brilliant pianist and composer.

Buster Williams, who appears on the first CD "Searce for Peace" has been my alltime favourite on the bass.

Al Foster always has been my first choice when I listen to drummers. He´s fantastic. Give him all the stars you have.

The first CD "Search for Peace", as the title says is more McCoy Tyner and Trane oriented, even if there are some older standard ballads two. And 2 Bartz originals, among them the famous "Uncle Bubba".

The second CD "Four in One" is more bop oriented with Monk´s , Bird´s and early Miles´ tunes and originals written by all the four musicians. The wonderful David Williams replaces Buster. His own compositon "Keep the Master in Mind", a jazz waltz , is sheer beauty.

Highly recommended.

I don´t know how to attach or to download a pic of the album covers. I´m strictly the listener and the one who goes inside the music, but I´d be glad if someone would post the album covers too.