Bill Evans TIME REMEMBERED documentary

Dmitry

I saw one of the showings at the New School with the filmmaker present over the summer. It was well done, but if you're an Evans fanatic, and have read the biography, there's not much new there.

The audience didn't seem to be aware of some of the more tragic aspects of Evans' life, and let out several collective gasps when that part of the film was reached.

The Q and A session ended abruptly when they were discussing who introduced Evans to heroin. The usual suspect was Philly Joe Jones, but I had heard that he started chipping on weekends with Denny Zeitlin before he went with Miles. When I mentioned this, a friend of Zeitlin's got very upset, and started yelling at me that Zeitlin had never used heroin.

The filmmaker got disgusted, and called an end to the Q and A session.

3 hours ago, sgcim said:

I saw one of the showings at the New School with the filmmaker present over the summer. It was well done, but if you're an Evans fanatic, and have read the biography, there's not much new there.

The audience didn't seem to be aware of some of the more tragic aspects of Evans' life, and let out several collective gasps when that part of the film was reached.

The Q and A session ended abruptly when they were discussing who introduced Evans to heroin. The usual suspect was Philly Joe Jones, but I had heard that he started chipping on weekends with Denny Zeitlin before he went with Miles. When I mentioned this, a friend of Zeitlin's got very upset, and started yelling at me that Zeitlin had never used heroin.

The filmmaker got disgusted, and called an end to the Q and A session.

I've known Denny fairly well since high school, albeit off and on over the years, and find it highly improbable that he ever used heroin. Just doesn't fit his personality or lifestyle.

9 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Is there any strong language in the film? Asking because I'm considering  hosting a screening, and can't find the film rating on producer's website.

I don't recall a great use of profanity, but prepare for a lot of collective gasps when they detail BE's personal life.

The filmmaker said the DVD contained some extra material that we didn't see in the screening. He recounted that Eddie Gomez wouldn't be interviewed unless he was paid a huge amount of money, so he doesn't appear in the film. He tried to get Jimmy Cobb, but he said Cobb had too many family issues preventing any possibility of an interview.

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Could they both really have been "very young"? There are nine years between Zeitlin and Evans.

They just did it occasionally on weekends. Neither got hooked.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 6:28 PM, Eric said:

Just stumbled on this this on Prime.  Definitely worth watching.

I appreciated that heads-up. I thought it was a good doc. It certainly dealt with the drug abuse, but I didn't think that aspect got in the way of its appreciation for the music. Caused me to go back and listen again to some fine Evans, including "Affinity," Evans's great album with Toots Thielemans. Sublime music.

gregmo