Rudresh Mahanthappa & the Indo-Pak Coalition - Agrima

Kevin Bresnahan

Rudresh Mahanthappa made the cover of Downbeat where he talked about he latest recording, "Agrima", which hit the streets Tuesday (10/17). I liked the sample (Snap) so I ordered the download - a first for me! :) Well, I have to be honest, I ordered it because it was only $2.50 (https://www.rudreshm.com/).

First off, I have to say that I am a fan of classical Indian music so I was very interested to hear this melding of this style of music with Jazz and Rock. Fusion for sure. What I mean to say is that I was predisposed to like this and...

I do like this quite a bit. I'm not one to do a track by track analysis but I liked the tunes with the tabla better than the ones with drums. As a player, Rudresh has some mannerisms that get repeated, but what player doesn't? The spacey intro to "Revati" sounded like something from Jane Ira Bloom's "Modern Drama". On the last tune, "Take-Turns" I kept wanting to swat the fly buzzing around my head during the intro. :)

I will probably poke around the rest of Mahanthappa's catalog to see if any of his other recordings are like this.

I have all of Mahanthappa's recordings, including those with Vijay Iyer and others (22 in all). He has a unique style and sound that makes him stand out. Every one of his releases is worthwhile. I enjoy his previous album, Bird Calls, the most, but his duet with Iyer, Raw Materials, is also an extraordinary album. 

Mahanthappa-Bird-Calls-CD.jpg

51j1OSyWwBL._SX355_.jpg

Cheers, RM

• 2 months later...

I only stumbled across this today.  The album is still available for $2.50, so I went ahead and took the plunge.  I think I do have all of Rudresh's CDs (or at least downloads). 

I should dig out Codebook, which was an early favorite.  I actually got the inner ring decoder signed by Rudresh back when he and Vijay played the Green Mill.

• 5 years later...
On 10/20/2017 at 4:00 AM, JSngry said:

Have you checked out Kinsmen, on Pi? http://www.pirecordings.com/album/pi28

http://pirecordings.com/cms/img/thumbs/pi28_500.jpg

I liked that one a BIG lot. So8unds like I might like this one too. Thanks for the heads-up!

Just listened to this for the first time. It’s really, really good.