Kickstarter campaign for Smithsonian Anthology of Hip-Hop And Rap

That's really great!  But my thought is, like jazz is, hip hop is such a folk art, and over the past several years hip hop has entered institutions, but doesn't that risk making schisms like jazz has in academia by institutionalizing it to present the history?  medjuck, Hip Hop Evolution is a decent watch on Netflix, as is a documentary about the sampling of "Apache" by Michael Viner's Incredible Bongo Band as is Tupac's "All Eyez On Me" which is a documentary interview collection.  I am no hip hop expert, but mainstream stuff now is even less interesting than what was mainstream in the 90's, "Bodak Yellow" for instance by Cardi B, awful stuff.

3 hours ago, CJ Shearn said:

That's really great!  But my thought is, like jazz is, hip hop is such a folk art, and over the past several years hip hop has entered institutions, but doesn't that risk making schisms like jazz has in academia by institutionalizing it to present the history?  medjuck, Hip Hop Evolution is a decent watch on Netflix, as is a documentary about the sampling of "Apache" by Michael Viner's Incredible Bongo Band as is Tupac's "All Eyez On Me" which is a documentary interview collection.  I am no hip hop expert, but mainstream stuff now is even less interesting than what was mainstream in the 90's, "Bodak Yellow" for instance by Cardi B, awful stuff.

Thanks for the tips.  I've never even heard Rapper's Delight or The Sugar Hill Gang. 

Interesting that this is being done, or trying to be done, when there's no Smithsonian history of Rock 'n Soul, Rhythm & Blues, whatever yet - I've daydreamed about doing it but it would be impossible to satisfy everyone, in fact to do a good job you'd have to have a point of view (or three) and be willing to piss people off, otherwise it would be too bland 9have I put enough halfbaked ideas in one sentence yet?).

Or, did I miss something?

• 11 months later...
On 10/12/2018 at 9:20 PM, medjuck said:

Is the set definitely coming out and if so when?  (I have a vague memory of ordering it.)

Hey Joe, last update I received was in mid-June, saying that all of the tracks for the set had been successfully licensed.  Nothing since then--it's supposed to be coming out at the end of this year, I believe.

Update just sent out--set's been delayed till summer 2019:

Posted by Smithsonian Institution (Creator)

#HipHopHistory makers,

We are happy to report that the production of the Smithsonian Anthology of Hip-Hop & Rap is progressing every day. We have secured licenses for all tracks that tell the story of hip-hop, written the essays and compiled the liner notes. As we’ve gathered the photographs for the box set, we’ve discovered some incredible images that perfectly pair with this amazing mix of sounds that showcase and honor the incredible legacy of hip-hop and rap.

We can’t wait to share this with you, knowing how much you will appreciate that more than 300 artists, authors, photographers, designers and production professionals are masterfully spinning together this Anthology of Hip-Hop and Rap, a feat that is uniquely suited to the Smithsonian.

So many pieces are coming together to create this eight-pound gem, something only the Smithsonian could do – with your help. To ensure our level of excellence, we are adjusting the delivery date for the box set to Summer 2019.

Why is the Anthology delayed? 

The Smithsonian Anthology of Hip-Hop and Rap involves more than 300 individuals, including 200+ artists, their managers and labels, as well as authors, photographers, curators, designers, production professionals, and more. All their work has to be individually scoped, discussed, contracted, carried out, checked and aligned. That creates hundreds of interlocking moving parts. In that process, we encountered legal and production issues that are taking longer than we anticipated, and we are not ready to compromise on the quality of a landmark release like this.

When will the Anthology be available? 

We now expect the Anthology will be delivered to Kickstarter backers in Summer 2019. 

I'll be curious to see the artists represented, and track listing.  I'm in no way a hip-hop aficionado, but if the price was right - I could see enjoying something like this from time to time.

Saw on the Kickstarter that it's supposed to be 9 CD's (probably 11-12 hours?) -- which seems like it ought to cut fairly deep and wide.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 1 year later...

Latest update for this oft-delayed set:

Dear #HipHopHistory makers,

We are grateful for your continued support throughout the production of this project! We can’t thank you enough for your engagement and patience as we progress towards this historic release. As a token of our appreciation, we'll be sending you an additional reward just for #HipHopHistory project backers: a poster illustrating some of the artists featured on the box. The poster is designed by award-winning illustrator Robert Generette, whose work is featured in the box set as well. Generette has worked with the likes of ESPN, Nike and the NBA.

We’re excited to announce that nearly all the parts needed to assemble the Anthology have been completed: all the 9 CDs, the CD holders, the slipcase and the book cover. Check out the photos below! 

Unfortunately, we’ve had delays in completing the inside of the book. In preparing the written content for design, we had to take a different editorial approach which required further revisions and the addition of new voices. With the support of hip-hop experts and veterans, we've made tremendous progress. Over the coming weeks we will be finalizing the text so that Cey Adams can begin his deep dive into designing the book.

We sincerely apologize for the continued delays, but we’re thrilled that we’re so close now! We anticipate that we can send the completed product to Kickstarter backers well before the end of 2020. We can't wait to share the Smithsonian Anthology of Hip Hop & Rap with you! Stay tuned for more updates as production ramps up! 

For underground metaphors
You can scrape an inch below the turf, for what it's worth
My style's been developed in the core of the Earth
The exhale's volcanic, the inhale is seismic
So brothers just panic when the Live one arrives with
The natural ability to run through your crew
From 2-1-4 to 2-1-3 to 2-1-2
In other words, from Dallas, to L.A., to the place where J stay
Everyday is mayday
So you can talk your shit on how you're wettin' MC's
With mad blood stains but I'll bet you can't stand the rain
I look upon your brain with disdain
Go back and reflect on my endeavors black I can't complain
It's like a raw deal, consistent with the way I make you feel
The ends stay revealed while the means I conceal
And those who try to steal get decapitated
You wanna snatch my H2O-type flow, but it evaporated
I displays my credentials over instrumentals
And my potential, increases at a rate that's exponential
It's detrimental questionin' my thesis
The penetration's exact, like amniocentesis
I rip your rhyme to pieces after drainin' out your fluid
My vocab is fluent, yours is evident of being truant
I know you wanna make moves but son you best to take a second look
Before my knight takes your rook
Cause everybody's rapping, and only few can flow
So why the hell they trying to deal with Live I don't know
I handle true MC's on their block or at their show
So if you got some bullshit, please keep it on the low
Cause yo, I got the hair-splittin', self-written unbitten style
That leaves the competition running scared and shaking in their pants
You best to set it off cause black it ain't no second chance
Once I'm open, all you doing is hoping that the Live one
Will put the mic down, but son don't try to snatch it after
The laughter won't cease from the comparison, how dare you son
Step around the booth when I'm on
The microphone magician says poof, you're gone with the wind
There's no trace of your friends cause you don't know where the
Beginning ends or where the end begins
But you see that's the difference, you get sold, I get paid
Black I told you, get paid
If you're broke I'll have to rain on your parade
You belong in special ed if you think you got it made
J-Live with the mic is like the chef with the blade
Cause suckers get sliced and sauteed
Yeah, you thought your joint was fly but the flight was delayed
Because
Cause yo, I take the grey matter of pretenders
Through my mental blender, and then return to sender
My pen don't pretend to offend
I intend to render MC's, hanging loose like a fender bender
I recommend regardless of your gender
That you strike fucking with J-Live from your agenda
And remember that whoever lends a helping hand to defend ya
Will get burned to a cinder
As I end the, reign of wack MC's with their suicidal tendencies
Rendering me sick, with the thoughts of killing enemies
But then I return to reality
Metaphorically murdering MC's when they battle me
You can't rattle me
I'm not your average snake slithering through the grass
I surpass the serpent as I head to class
You consider me crass as I wax that ass; style's no joke
But you best believe I gets the last laugh

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Stores?

That's according to the email they sent out today:

>>The much-anticipated Smithsonian Anthology of Hip-Hop and Rap is officially on the way! Tomorrow, June 30, we will announce the public release of the Anthology, due in stores on August 20. Copies of the set will be mailed to Kickstarter supporters beginning the first week of July. <<  (Bold font in original email)