Lou Gare RIP

sidewinder

Just heard the very sad news that saxophonist Lou Gare has passed away. Founder member of AMM, important pioneer on the experimental music scene and until quite recently featured with Mike Westbrook’s Big Band in a more straight ahead jazz context. I was always very impressed with his fine playing. RIP.

What a great shame.

A few years ago he did a two or three night residency at Oto. It was the first time I'd seen him live and enjoyed it so much I returned for a second night. Wish I'd had taken more opportunities to hear him play. I have a solo recording, "No Strings Attached" on Matchless, purchased at the gig, that will now be played this afternoon

I think the last time I saw him was at the Westbrook Big Band Xmas gig at least 5 years back. I’d heard he had heart problems and was scheduled around then for an op. I don’t think he appeared wth the most recent Westbrook Big Band line up, the ‘Uncommon Orchestra’ - at least not to my knowledge. Very glad to have at least caught those earlier gigs.

He was a long term resident of the county of Devon in his later years. 

Edited by sidewinder

• 1 month later...