John Coltrane and the world of bootlegs

Pim

Alright I have to admit: I am a Coltrane addict. This means that until now, I have got all is his studio work as a leader, all his live (official) music as a leader, almost all his studio work as a sideman and almost all his (official) live works as a sideman. As a teacher, now is the holidays in the Netherlands for one week, which gave me some time to dive into his discography again. And hell: there are a lot of bootlegs. A very lot of those bootlegs have been brought out in the past 10 years by labels like Gambit, Lone Hill, RLR, well you all know those labels. Personally, I hate them and they bring mixed feelings to me. I hate the fact they bring out a lot of copyrighted material in versions with wrong credits, poor liner notes and bad information. But in the case with Coltrane: they attract me because they are the only ones that bring out this material. And I do want to have it (being an obsessive compulsive collector. Now these bootlegs, they vary from: very bad and not even listenable to actually quite good and worth having.

My plan with this topic is to come to a selection with your help, of must haves in these bootlegs series. I hope you want to help me out. The bootlegs I have selected cover all the bootleg stuff from 1960 to 1966, except quite a lot of stuff from the Showboat through all those years, some 1960 Jazz Gallery stuff, the "L'Olympia", Paris, France, 1st concert, November 17, 1962, and the 1964 recordings at Birdland and Pep's. 

My idea is as follows: in the list below you give the albums a rating (0,5 to 5) followed by the share of voters. This means you have to calculate an average if you are the second or later voter. This system is kind of like the system you have got on rateyourmusic.com. In this way I hope we can make a selection of recordings that are absolutely worth having, and a share of recordings that are 'collectors only'. Please do take the sound quality in your grading! It will definitely help me to make te right decisions if I know where to start. Thanks for your help! The list is as follows:

- Last Performance At Newport 1966                                        (Grade) voters

- Live in Comblain-La-Tour 1965                                                (Grade) voters

- Live in Paris (1965)                                                                   (Grade) voters

- Antibes/Baden Baden/San Francisco                                      (Grade) voters

- Complete Live in Stuttgart 1963                                               (Grade) voters

- The Complete Copenhagen 1963 Concert                               (Grade) voters

- The Unissued Seattle Broadcast                                              (Grade) voters

- Live At The Showboat, Philadelphia, June 17, 1963                (Grade) voters

- More Live At The Showboat 1963                                            (Grade) voters

- Far Train (Birdland 1962/1963)                                                 (Grade) voters

- The 1962 Milan Concert                                                           (Grade) voters

-The 1962 Graz Concert                                                             (Grade) voters

- Live in Denmark 1962                                                              (Grade) voters

- Stockholm 62 The Complete Concerts                                   (Grade) voters

- With Eric Dolphy (Complete 1962 Birdland Broadcasts)        (Grade) voters

- European Tour 1961 (contains almost all European records 1961, not the Pablo edition)                         (Grade) voters

- Complete Live At The Sutherland Lounge 1961                     (Grade) voters

- The 1961 Newport Set                                                           (Grade) voters

- Live At The Jazz Gallery 1960                                                (Grade) voters

- Last Performance At Newport 1966                                        (3,00) 1 voters

- Live in Comblain-La-Tour 1965                                                (Grade) voters

- Live in Paris (1965)                                                                   (Grade) voters

- Antibes/Baden Baden/San Francisco                                      (Grade) voters

- Complete Live in Stuttgart 1963                                               (Grade) voters

- The Complete Copenhagen 1963 Concert                               (Grade) voters

- The Unissued Seattle Broadcast                                              (1,00) 1 voters

- Live At The Showboat, Philadelphia, June 17, 1963                (Grade) voters

- More Live At The Showboat 1963                                            (Grade) voters

- Far Train (Birdland 1962/1963)                                                 (Grade) voters

- The 1962 Milan Concert                                                           (Grade) voters

-The 1962 Graz Concert                                                             (Grade) voters

- Live in Denmark 1962                                                              (Grade) voters

- Stockholm 62 The Complete Concerts                                   (Grade) voters

- European Tour 1961 (contains almost all European records 1961, not the Pablo edition)                         (Grade) voters

- Complete Live At The Sutherland Lounge 1961                     (Grade) voters

- The 1961 Newport Set                                                           (Grade) voters

- Live At The Jazz Gallery 1960                                                (Grade) voters

What is the European Your 1961? I thought Pablo owned the only recordings from that tour? 

My 92nd (counting every disc from box sets, reissues, and Deluxe Editions) and final Coltrane disc was The Olatunji Concert. The sonic "quality" of that recording convinced me that I'd finally had enough of his catalog. 

No there is more music from that tour that has circulated as a bootleg.

Please forget about the voting system. Let’s make it a plus or minus system. This saves a lot of time and a lot math. So plus one if recommended and minus one if not.

- Last Performance At Newport 1966                                        +1

- The Unissued Seattle Broadcast                                -1

• JSngry locked this topic