Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jazzbo

Sonny Clark Trio on Time 2 LP reissue news

55 posts in this topic

does anybody else notice Clark's stylistic debt to Duke Jordan?  A lot of very on-the-beat phrasing.

Edited by AllenLowe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take it that this is only a LP release. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, seriously? I'd prefer a hi-res download to an LP for something like this. Ideally, a CD issue. 4 sides, gotta turn them over and back again, wtf?

And/or, just alternate takes, is that all that will be new?

I mean, I'd seriously be in for this on a digital release. The original album is my favorite Clark, period. But the vinyl is likely to be pricey, no?

Damn hipsters...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weren't alternates included on the Time CD reissue (I am guessing mine was bought early 90s)? Or are all the alternates "new"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seven alternate takes (6 of the 7 compositions, one with two alternates) were released on the most recent Japanese cd from Solid Records.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the Time masters were lost? The earliest CD issues would seem to indicate that they didn't have the best tapes back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sam Stephenson told me this was in the works, but disappointed to see that it's vinyl-only. 

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, seriously? I'd prefer a hi-res download to an LP for something like this. Ideally, a CD issue. 4 sides, gotta turn them over and back again, wtf?

And/or, just alternate takes, is that all that will be new?

I mean, I'd seriously be in for this on a digital release. The original album is my favorite Clark, period. But the vinyl is likely to be pricey, no?

Damn hipsters...

 

No kidding.  Today I was looking up Mahavishnu's Inner Mounting Flame on Amazon for this afternoon's posted program playlist and noticed that  Amazon currently sells the CD for $4.19, the LP for $28.79.  That's not an unusual price ratio and hasn't been for the past few years, but still makes me glad that I prefer the CD format.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: Kevin's: "The earliest CD issues would seem to indicate that they didn't have the best tapes back then."

This comment shouldn't apply to the 2003 CD 'Sonny Clark Trio' by Audio Fidelity (AFZ 2006).  "Mastered from the original Bell Sound three-track session tapes and two-track master mixes at Kevin Gray's AcousTech Mastering."  The SACD was compiled and remastered by Steve Hoffman.

 

The first eight tracks are 'master takes', plus an additional five 'alternate takes'.  (Interestingly, the recording dates given are January 2 and 6, 1959.)      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great music -- have an early 70s Japanese pressing of the original LP but will pick this up for the alternates and the fact that Tompkins Square is an excellent label.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

 

7 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Today I was looking up Mahavishnu's Inner Mounting Flame on Amazon for this afternoon's posted program playlist and noticed that  Amazon currently sells the CD for $4.19, the LP for $28.79.  That's not an unusual price ratio and hasn't been for the past few years, but still makes me glad that I prefer the CD format.  

Unfortunately, if you prefer CD and want the alternate takes you will have to shell out even more; a used copy of one of the Japanese CD releases is almost $100.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Unfortunately, if you prefer CD and want the alternate takes you will have to shell out even more; a used copy of one of the Japanese CD releases is almost $100.

True for the earlier cd, but this has been reissued this year in Japan and is available at a budget price with seven alternates.

Edited by jazzbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Lon, great info! Somehow I had missed that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bill Nelson said:

Re: Kevin's: "The earliest CD issues would seem to indicate that they didn't have the best tapes back then."

This comment shouldn't apply to the 2003 CD 'Sonny Clark Trio' by Audio Fidelity (AFZ 2006).  "Mastered from the original Bell Sound three-track session tapes and two-track master mixes at Kevin Gray's AcousTech Mastering."  The SACD was compiled and remastered by Steve Hoffman.

 

The first eight tracks are 'master takes', plus an additional five 'alternate takes'.  (Interestingly, the recording dates given are January 2 and 6, 1959.)      

I have that SACD but missed that they used the master tapes for it. If memory serves, the CD that this SACD replaced on my CD shelf did not sound all that great. Bainbridge/Time wasn't it? I can't confirm as I gave it away after picking up the SACD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I have that SACD but missed that they used the master tapes for it. If memory serves, the CD that this SACD replaced on my CD shelf did not sound all that great. Bainbridge/Time wasn't it? I can't confirm as I gave it away after picking up the SACD.

The sacd doesn't sound that great either, nor does the original vinyl [both recollections are from memory; haven't played this title in years].

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pleased with the clean and clear sound of the Audio Fidelity SACD/DSD. As for the Bainbridge CD (BCD-1044), it was likely the first available version on CD (maybe 1990) and it only has 8 tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice jacket cover on this new release. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for the Audiofidelity SACD, which sounds great to my ears - definitely better than the Bainbridge LP I had before. The high resolution layer sounds better than the CD layer, of course. But I would agree that there are better sounding trio recordings from those years. 

This trio is my favourite Sonny Clark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are we saying here, that if you can get this Audiofidelity thing that you'll have everything that is going to be on thise 2 LP release? Or is that not what we are saying?

Either way, that Apatow guy strikes again, somehow. Good for him, but something for us non-hipsters, please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JSngry said:

What are we saying here, that if you can get this Audiofidelity thing that you'll have everything that is going to be on thise 2 LP release?

Probably - but to make sure, check the tracklists.

But the photos in the article linked, obviously from the session, are nice - that would be a motivation to get the new LP reissue. Never saw them before.

tsq_5449_sonny_clark_trio_1500_copy.jpgsonny_thoughtful.jpgsonny_and_max.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

But the photos in the article linked, obviously from the session, are nice ....

tsq_5449_sonny_clark_trio_1500_copy.jpgsonny_thoughtful.jpgsonny_and_max.jpg

Agreed ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like that second one, of Sonny checking his cell phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I like that second one, of Sonny checking his cell phone.

:D ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Got to post this recording session on Instagram!" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2017 at 6:05 PM, Dan Gould said:

Weren't alternates included on the Time CD reissue (I am guessing mine was bought early 90s)? Or are all the alternates "new"?

I have a Japanese version from 2001 with 4 alternates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.