Sonny Clark Trio on Time 2 LP reissue news

jazzbo

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, seriously? I'd prefer a hi-res download to an LP for something like this. Ideally, a CD issue. 4 sides, gotta turn them over and back again, wtf?

And/or, just alternate takes, is that all that will be new?

I mean, I'd seriously be in for this on a digital release. The original album is my favorite Clark, period. But the vinyl is likely to be pricey, no?

Damn hipsters...

Sam Stephenson told me this was in the works, but disappointed to see that it's vinyl-only. 

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, seriously? I'd prefer a hi-res download to an LP for something like this. Ideally, a CD issue. 4 sides, gotta turn them over and back again, wtf?

And/or, just alternate takes, is that all that will be new?

I mean, I'd seriously be in for this on a digital release. The original album is my favorite Clark, period. But the vinyl is likely to be pricey, no?

Damn hipsters...

No kidding.  Today I was looking up Mahavishnu's Inner Mounting Flame on Amazon for this afternoon's posted program playlist and noticed that  Amazon currently sells the CD for $4.19, the LP for $28.79.  That's not an unusual price ratio and hasn't been for the past few years, but still makes me glad that I prefer the CD format.  

Re: Kevin's: "The earliest CD issues would seem to indicate that they didn't have the best tapes back then."

This comment shouldn't apply to the 2003 CD 'Sonny Clark Trio' by Audio Fidelity (AFZ 2006).  "Mastered from the original Bell Sound three-track session tapes and two-track master mixes at Kevin Gray's AcousTech Mastering."  The SACD was compiled and remastered by Steve Hoffman.

The first eight tracks are 'master takes', plus an additional five 'alternate takes'.  (Interestingly, the recording dates given are January 2 and 6, 1959.)      

7 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

7 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Today I was looking up Mahavishnu's Inner Mounting Flame on Amazon for this afternoon's posted program playlist and noticed that  Amazon currently sells the CD for $4.19, the LP for $28.79.  That's not an unusual price ratio and hasn't been for the past few years, but still makes me glad that I prefer the CD format.  

Unfortunately, if you prefer CD and want the alternate takes you will have to shell out even more; a used copy of one of the Japanese CD releases is almost $100.

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Unfortunately, if you prefer CD and want the alternate takes you will have to shell out even more; a used copy of one of the Japanese CD releases is almost $100.

True for the earlier cd, but this has been reissued this year in Japan and is available at a budget price with seven alternates.

Edited by jazzbo

14 hours ago, Bill Nelson said:

Re: Kevin's: "The earliest CD issues would seem to indicate that they didn't have the best tapes back then."

This comment shouldn't apply to the 2003 CD 'Sonny Clark Trio' by Audio Fidelity (AFZ 2006).  "Mastered from the original Bell Sound three-track session tapes and two-track master mixes at Kevin Gray's AcousTech Mastering."  The SACD was compiled and remastered by Steve Hoffman.

The first eight tracks are 'master takes', plus an additional five 'alternate takes'.  (Interestingly, the recording dates given are January 2 and 6, 1959.)      

I have that SACD but missed that they used the master tapes for it. If memory serves, the CD that this SACD replaced on my CD shelf did not sound all that great. Bainbridge/Time wasn't it? I can't confirm as I gave it away after picking up the SACD.

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I have that SACD but missed that they used the master tapes for it. If memory serves, the CD that this SACD replaced on my CD shelf did not sound all that great. Bainbridge/Time wasn't it? I can't confirm as I gave it away after picking up the SACD.

The sacd doesn't sound that great either, nor does the original vinyl [both recollections are from memory; haven't played this title in years].

Another vote for the Audiofidelity SACD, which sounds great to my ears - definitely better than the Bainbridge LP I had before. The high resolution layer sounds better than the CD layer, of course. But I would agree that there are better sounding trio recordings from those years. 

This trio is my favourite Sonny Clark.

What are we saying here, that if you can get this Audiofidelity thing that you'll have everything that is going to be on thise 2 LP release? Or is that not what we are saying?

Either way, that Apatow guy strikes again, somehow. Good for him, but something for us non-hipsters, please?

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

What are we saying here, that if you can get this Audiofidelity thing that you'll have everything that is going to be on thise 2 LP release?

Probably - but to make sure, check the tracklists.

But the photos in the article linked, obviously from the session, are nice - that would be a motivation to get the new LP reissue. Never saw them before.

tsq_5449_sonny_clark_trio_1500_copy.jpgsonny_thoughtful.jpgsonny_and_max.jpg