Happy 90th Birthday Jimmy Heath

Cyril

2 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

Jimmy is still performing. He recent did a concert with Benny Golson.  

Golson is playing at Scullers in Boston next month. He hasn't been through Boston in a long time either. I have my ticket. :)

I would guess that it's been over a decade since Jimmy's been through. He used to come to town once a year, usually with his brothers. I wonder if Percy's death put an end to his touring days? The last time I saw him, he still brought down the house.

7 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Kevin, Golson will do more talking than playing. I don't think his chops allow for blowing much any more. Jimmy Heath still does it. Saw him a few months ago in that Sonny Rollins tribute concert I wrote about, and he did as well, or better than any ninety-year old out there.

Benny has ALWAYS talked a lot, but I heard him in early September and he was in great form. Yeah, shorter solos than he played in the past, but he's still putting air through the horn and the ideas were creative and spontaneous. Lots of ways to define jazz, but one that never goes out of style is Benny Golson playing his own songbook.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2017 at 9:12 AM, Dmitry said:

Kevin, Golson will do more talking than playing. I don't think his chops allow for blowing much any more. Jimmy Heath still does it. Saw him a few months ago in that Sonny Rollins tribute concert I wrote about, and he did as well, or better than any ninety-year old out there.

Benny certainly talked much more than I remember from his last visits. He did ramble a bit too much... they ended up only being able to play 5 songs in a 70 minute set. But when he played, he still had it. I think his wife is right. :)