Blakey and the Jazz Messages at the Keystone Korner.

Hardbopjazz

You are lucky, I think Mingus also played there.

It seems that the years when it operated where exactly those years when the public became again interested in "acoustic jazz", It was as it is written in the liner notes of one of Dexters albums after his return to the States ......" he makes people believe that art still can be done with a saxophone, a piano, a double-bass and a set of drums....."
And it was Art Blakey who found a new audiece with his first group that made much touring, the one with Ponomarev, Pierce, Watson, James Williams, Dennis Irving, the group that also appeared at Keynote.
And by the way, didn´t Red Garland also play and record there ?

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

You are lucky, I think Mingus also played there.

It seems that the years when it operated where exactly those years when the public became again interested in "acoustic jazz", It was as it is written in the liner notes of one of Dexters albums after his return to the States ......" he makes people believe that art still can be done with a saxophone, a piano, a double-bass and a set of drums....."
And it was Art Blakey who found a new audiece with his first group that made much touring, the one with Ponomarev, Pierce, Watson, James Williams, Dennis Irving, the group that also appeared at Keynote.
And by the way, didn´t Red Garland also play and record there ?

Yes, also Rahsaan recorded the 'Bright Moments' double album there.  I saw triple bill of Dex/Max Roach (with Billy Harper)/Bobby Hutcherson there ca. 1976/77, saw John Hendricks' Evolution of the Blues nearby the same week.

6 hours ago, felser said:

Yes, also Rahsaan recorded the 'Bright Moments' double album there.  I saw triple bill of Dex/Max Roach (with Billy Harper)/Bobby Hutcherson there ca. 1976/77, saw John Hendricks' Evolution of the Blues nearby the same week.

Interesting. My log says that I saw Dexter, Bobby H. & Billy Harper at KK on 5/30/77 (but not Max). My recollection was that I saw Billy for the first time with Max on 11/3/77. Your 'triple bill' note sounds more realistic.

*Edit: I found this poster(s) online. It was the Billy Harper Quintet.

Image result for dexter gordon keystone korner

Edited by BFrank

IIRC 40 years later, Dexter was a special add-on, the double bill was scheduled to be Roach and Hutch.  And I would not have been there in May, would have been there in November.  My parents had 49'ers season tickets, so I used to go out during football season

Here is an excerpt I found from the Keystone Korner book.  Think it must be George Cables speaking.  Christmas week sounds right, I remember going out to spend Christmas with my family in either '76 or '77.    "114 I remember when I played with Dexter – I don’t know if this was the first time I played with Dexter there or not, but the marquee said, “Max, Dex, Hutch.” That was a Christmas/New Year’s week, a hell of a celebration. First, I’d play with Bobby [Hutcherson]; Bobby came on first. Then, Max [Roach] would come on with his piano-less band. And then, I’d come back and play [with Dexter]. The whole week! That was wonderful."