Same Song Title Different Composers

Dan Gould

I thought about this when Larry posted about Norman Simmons' Midnight Creeper recording: How is it that so many different composers went with that title?

I've got: Teddy Edwards (excellent Muse recording BTW); Lou Donaldson; Norman Simmons; AMG tells me that Al Grey wrote one too, though I don't know for certain its a different tune than each of the others. There's also recordings by James Cotton and Luther Allison though I have no idea if they are really the LD tune or what.

Are there any other examples of so many tunes by the same name in the same genre? 

If "pop songs regardless of era" counts as a genre, my reflex responses are "The Night Has A Thousand Eyes" and "P.S. I Love You".

"Midnight Creeper"/"Midnight Creep" is/was a common expression in "blues cultures", so that's probably why it got used so much, everybody knew what it meant.

You could probably do a scholarly essay (and immediately regret it) about the significance of midnight in so many vernaculars.

There's also 'Stormy Monday' written by T-Bone Walker or Earl Hines & Billy Eckstine. Same SONG different writers :)

More to the point, there's 'It's too late', written by:

a) Chuck Willis (and more famously recorded by Otis Redding);

b) Wilson Pickett, the title track of his first LP (on Double L); and

c) Carol King and someone called Tony Stern, it sez on O'Donel Levy's 'Breeding of mind'.

Howzat!

MG

23 years before Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley wrote "Who Can I Turn To?," Alec Wilder wrote a song of the same title. They're both excellent pop songs, but I prefer Wilder's - it has his usual odd melodic turns and unusual harmonies. It hasn't been recorded that often, but I have it on a Morgana King LP, and Jo Stafford and Lee Wiley recorded it.

8 hours ago, medjuck said:

Isn't there a Benny Carter Lonely Woman?   

Stan Kenton dseemed to have a thing for that one.

Those seems kind of silly, even for Kenton. Whatever Pete Rugolo was up to, I can hear but not feel.

And then again, I like June Christy well enough but this doesn't grab me at all. No real breath in there, and those lyrics very much seem to me to need all kinds of breath.

I think Bill Mathieu got it right in Kentonian terms. This one I can hear and feel..."Stan Kenton" was always as good as his writers, and Mathieu was a badass mofo as far as that thing went. This thing breathes, sighs, screams, cries, hell yeah, Bill Mathieu.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...