BFT164

Well, here we are again. I'd forgotten it would be Halloween and I've been busy all evening giving chocs to the local kids, of whom there seem to be scores! I always say I'd like a treat please but they never give me one! So I'm pinching a couple out of our box - BLEEEEEEAAHHHH!

I dare say Thom, who's got all the tracks, will put 'em up tomorrow.

Enjoy!

MG

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, tkeith said:

Sorry, folks.  It's up and-a-running, now.  Files were all there but there was an issue with the way they were named.  Cursed technology!

Even now, nothing happens when I click on the songs in the streaming part of the page.  Is it just me?

Edited by Hot Ptah

4 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

Even now, nothing happens when I click on the songs in the streaming part of the page.  Is it just me?

Same for me - I've seen this before on my browser on one machine.  I just downloaded and played those mp3's

6 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

As always an entertaining compilation but since I didn't recognize Gene Harris amongst the many fine pianists I will save you my non-existent guesses and step aside and watch the discussion ensue. Thanks MG!

Correct, there's zero Gene Harris. But don't step aside; there's stuff on which I'd welcome your comments, though not as a Gene Harris fan :D

MG

6 hours ago, aparxa said:

It works fine with me, thanks MG and Thom!!

Do me wrong, do me right. Tell me lies but hold me tight,
Save your goodbyes for the morning light, but don't let me be lonely tonight.

Well, that's half a point, young man :g

MG

On 08/11/2017 at 9:23 PM, Hot Ptah said:

This is a really fun and enjoyable BFT! I am not having a lot of luck identifying anyone yet, but I am having a really good time listening to it. I will be back with some comments.

Phew a couple of days not being able to access the web and now my PC is most unhappy about me being here.

Well, I'm very glad you're enjoying this Bill. I'm also not TOO displeased that you're finding some of it hard :D

MG

Reading the responses, I see that PNJ is on here, thought that one sounded familiar, from the Atlantic solo album right? Lead cut on Side A, right? To paraphrase Oscar Peterson about Monk, I do not like the piano played like that, and/or back atcha OP. And/also, the piano on that record is either really bad or recorded poorly. It sounds like the tapes were sped up, which I'm 99.9% sure that they weren't, but yeah, really brittle and tinny. The LP was anyway.

No real reason for this post other to give additional confirmation that Oliver Nelson did not break the thread. How the hell that happened is beyond me. Had me really worried there for a second, hell, for a few hours, actually.

The only one I knew was the Newborn which was answered. 

I liked the trumpeter on track 8. I'm  anxiously waiting to find out who this is.   The tenor player is good too. Is it Milt Buncker on organ?

I have track 14 but I don't recall who this is, nor do I know where the LP is. My guess right now, Hank Crawford on tenor. 

I'm going to listen again. Maybe the second time through the music I'll get lucky and have more guesses. 

Edited by Hardbopjazz

12 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

The only one I knew was the Newborn which was answered. 

I liked the trumpeter on track 8. I'm  anxiously waiting to find out who this is.   The tenor player is good too. Is it Milt Buncker on organ?

I have track 14 but I don't recall who this is, nor do I know where the LP is. My guess right now, Hank Crawford on tenor. 

I'm going to listen again. Maybe the second time through the music I'll get lucky and have more guesses. 

It's not Milt Buckner on #8. I think Jim S may know it, but is too busy to say :(

It's not Hank on tenor. But it IS this kind of tenor playing that influenced his alto style.

MG