BFT164

https://www.discogs.com/Shirley-Scott-With-Oliver-Nelson-And-Joe-Newman-Blue-Seven/release/4887052

53af576a-7ddd-4388-b841-dc341de2f616.jpgEllaNelson.jpg

New_Hire_Templete.jpg

Slide1-1.jpg

quote-that-provision-in-the-constitution

51cVsnZKBSL._SX246_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

#7 is definitely a product of the RVG studio, so that narrows it down, right? Actually, it does sound familiar, and I do like it, but that narrows it down less that does the RVG thing. Is that Roy Haynes on drums? The bassist sounds like a sly poke at Mingus.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#9 might be Lou Donaldson on one of his worser 70s records?

Whoever it is on #11 wants there to be no doubt that he/she has heard dem blues. The tune sounds like a variant of "Sunny", which means nothing.

Is it French?

#12 reminds me of some Cedar Walton tune.

Was #13 on Columbia? It almost sounds like that McCoy fusion album he did on Columbia, only this is not McCoy. I don't think it's Cedar Walton either.

On 18/11/2017 at 1:29 PM, JSngry said:

That's correct, except it's a bonus track on the CD you referenced at Discogs. It was supposed to be part of 'Blue 7' but they played 'Wagon wheels' for twelve minutes.

The version in my BFT was from the original LP

R-5965605-1407877100-7686.jpeg.jpg

which was an LP put together from odds and ends.

Did you notice Shirley had retitled this tune? Later, it was called 'Blues everywhere'. I prefer 'How sweet', which is more redolent of Wild Bill Davis.

#7 is definitely a product of the RVG studio, so that narrows it down, right? Actually, it does sound familiar, and I do like it, but that narrows it down less that does the RVG thing. Is that Roy Haynes on drums? The bassist sounds like a sly poke at Mingus.

Yes, an RVG job. Not Roy on drums (or anything else). I doubt the bass player was a serious admirer of Mingus, but he might have been. One never knows much about bass players.
They're all 'known' names; no one truly obscure there.

MG

On 18/11/2017 at 1:44 PM, JSngry said:

#9 might be Lou Donaldson on one of his worser 70s records?ubn al. The tune sounds like a variant of "Sunny", which means nothing.

Is it French?

#12 reminds me of some Cedar Walton tune.

Was #13 on Columbia? It almost sounds like that McCoy fusion album he did on Columbia, only this is not McCoy. I don't think it's Cedar Walton either.

#9 ain't Lou Donaldson. Obviously someone else on one of his worser 70s records :)

#11 is American.

#12 is not a Cedar Walton tune.

#13 isn't on Columbia. I didn't know Freddie McCoy made any fusion albums :)  And this ain't Cedar Walton either (nor did he write th is tune, either).

You aren't doing NEARLY as well as I expected Jim. Funny, I didn't think this would be a hard BFT.

MG

Is #11 Don Shirley? Some of the playing reminds me of his recordings.

#9 is so interesting, going from almost classical to funk. Is that the same bass player on both sections? If so, there are not that many who could do it.

#12 reminds me of a time when I saw Joe Sample live.

#14 is James Taylor’s “Don’t Let Me Be Lonely Tonight.” What a soulful saxophonist!

I haven't THOUGHT of Don Shirley for decades. I used to have a couple of his LPs back in the mid-sixties; I bought 'Drown in my own tears' in about '62 as a single - he played organ and piano on it, as I recollect. But I ditched 'em all in about '66. No, it ain't him. 

I only have a personnel for the complete LP #9 comes from and there are three bass players on it with no indication of who's on which tracks. But, if it helps, of the three, one is on electric, the others on acoustic.

Not Joe Sample.

Yes, that title was identified in the first response posted to the BFT. Very soulful player, I agree.

MG

I was so taken with Track 14 that I cheated and did some internet investigation. It is James Moody from his 1973 album “Sax and Flute Man” on the Paula label. I was not familiar with the album. I have many Moody albums and saw him live several times and have not heard him play this soulfully before.

Correct Bill. It's an interesting album.

Hank Crawford always acknowledged Moody as a big influence on him, but I always wondered about whether he got his alto style from him, rather than his bebop ideas. Until I heard this, I never heard Moody play like that, so I doubted.

MG

On 22/11/2017 at 1:01 PM, aparxa said:

Harlem Blues,
Gotta Travel on,
Done Laid Around
even High Sheriff !!

I'd like to listen to this but I'm listening to 'Groove funk soul' and I'm loth to interrupt it. I'll get back later.

How come the spell check hasn't ever heard of 'loth'?

MG

Jeez, I started this but never got back to it.  Finally getting around to it.  I need to retire. ;)

Track 01 - Fun.  No guesses, but very fun.

Track 02 - Reminds me of an old... Black Lion? record I had of Illinois Jacquet's organ band.  Sounds like Harold Alexander's flute work.

Track 03 - Influences of Ibrahim, certainly in the spiritual vein.  Pianist has a touch of Phineas, but not enough.  Like Phineas played on a slower speed (love it, but there is only one Phineas!). I was going to guess Vince Guaraldi, but seems busier.  

Track 04 - Sounds like an Ibrahim song, but that's unmistakably Phineas.  Ah!  Yes, THAT record.  It's Harlem Blues from this.  That drummer probably came from a very musical family. ;)

Track 05 - Starting to catch onto a theme, here.  I like these, but I have no idea who it might be.  Gut is telling me it's more of a blues record than a Jazz record.  Something about the bass has me thinking Milt Hinton.

Track 06 - I like the singer's voice, but the stiffness of the rhythm (clearly intentional) is grating. 

Track 07 - Obvious guess is Horace Silver, but I have absolutely SIFTED my HS collection and this is not there.  Could be he's a sideman (maybe for the bassist?) but I'm whiffing on this one.

Track 08 - Aaaaw, yeah!  My first thought was Lee Morgan, but that's an older sound (balls out playing!).  Ah!  There's Oliver Nelson.  Sometimes, he didn't seem all that funky, this is not one of those times.:)  George Tucker, for sure -- nobody lays down that walk like that.  AH!  Got it!  It's Track 2 from this.  I should have gotten the drummer, too.  Trumpet player is a favorite, and completely under appreciated.

Track 09 - Very interesting, but no idea what it is.  I recently watched The Godfather again, and a couple of tracks here brought me to the wedding scene, but on a more musical level.  I know this alto player, but it's not clicking for me. Could be Fathead, but doesn't seem strong enough (meaning the tone, not the music).  I like this, but I feel very guilty about it. :D

Track 10 - Huh... I assumed this was the outchorus of the previous song and it threw me off.  I assume this is a soundtrack.

Track 11 - This!  All day long!!!!  I haven't lobbed a Gene Harris guess out there, yet, so here it is.  I could get lost in this for a long time. MUST have.

Track 12 - AAAAAW YEAH!!!  I swear this just showed up somewhere else recently, but I'm not placing what it was.  I was thinking Joe Lee Wilson, but then the vocals didn't come in.  Open chords have me thinking Harold Mabern, and whenever I do that, I'm dead wrong, so there's that.  I am enough of a cheeseball that this knocks me out.  I mean, it's *so* Kojak, but it just works.  I *swear* I know this, but I can't get it.  My wife is laughing at me.

Track 13 - I should NOT like this as much as I do.  It's got that high school Jazz band from the 1970s feel, but it TOTALLY freakin' works!  LOVE it!  I want more of this.  My ears aren't bleeding, so it's not Maynard, but that's the era I'm thinking of.  Because of the mellow quality of the horns, I want to lean Mike Westbrook, but it seems too straight ahead (meaning no electronica).  I'm diggin' it!

Track 14 - To paraphrase one of my favorite lines from Hi Fidelity, "Is that James F***ing Taylor?"  Alto is biting the phrasing a bit hard.  Could be George Braith -- he has a tendency to do that.  Yeah, this one is kind of suffering from the things that should have bugged me more about the previous string.  Alto is too scoopy.  If it's a heavy hitter, it's an off day.  

Lots of goodies in this.  Can't wait for the reveal so I can spend some more money that doesn't exist!

On 11/2/2017 at 4:33 PM, Hot Ptah said:

I just discovered that I cannot stream from  Thom’s site on Internet Explorer, but that it works fine if I use Mozilla Firefox.

Internet Exploder!?!?!  Well, there's your issue right there. ;)  

I can't even test for IE any longer -- Mac gave up on them at version 5.xxx

FWIW, I typically test it in Firefox and/or Chrome

Wow... shocked that was Moody.  That one missed for me.  Still waiting to see some of those 70s tunes get ID'd.  Perhaps I've had too much pecan pie.

13 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Because the word is spelled "loath" -- meaning "reluctant to," "disinclined to." Or were you making a joke I didn't get?

Perhaps in American English, but in English English the two spellings are optional. English is the most wonderful and most important language in the world because we let you lot win your War of Independence and lost control of the English language. So it now lies in the hands of Americans, Canadians, Australians, Jamaicans, Nigerians, Arabs - even the English. France and Spain have academic institutes to control the spelling, grammar etc of their languages which were started BEFORE the independence of their colonies, so they automatically followed those academies. But English is wildly out of control, which makes it more useful more quickly.

One of the great unforeseen outcomes of history.

MG

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

Wow, that's Elvin. Serves me right for not listening past the intro.

Two technical questions about this DL, btw:

1. Is it supposed to be that most of the files are mp3 but a few are mp4?
  2. why do the mp3 files all show this in WMP (the mp4s open in Foobar)?

frank_taveras_autograph.jpg

Yeah, there are two formats: mp3 and mp4. Different chunks of software/machinery do different formats. Who knows why?

Can you not listen to mp4 tracks in WMP? I never use it. Foobar all the time, because it also plays flacs so, when I want to listen to something, I don't give a toss what format it's in. I thought everyone did that...

MG

Track 01 - Fun.  No guesses, but very fun.

Track 02 - Reminds me of an old... Black Lion? record I had of Illinois Jacquet's organ band.  Sounds like Harold Alexander's flute work.

NOT ILLINOIS, NOT HAROLD ALEXANDER.

Track 03 - Influences of Ibrahim, certainly in the spiritual vein.  Pianist has a touch of Phineas, but not enough.  Like Phineas played on a slower speed (love it, but there is only one Phineas!). I was going to guess Vince Guaraldi, but seems busier.  

YOU'LL HAVE SEEN WHO IT REALLY IS NOW.

Track 04 - Sounds like an Ibrahim song, but that's unmistakably Phineas.  Ah!  Yes, THAT record.  It's Harlem Blues from this.  That drummer probably came from a very musical family. ;)

YES, SPOTTER ON THAN JIM S' GUESS.

Track 05 - Starting to catch onto a theme, here.  I like these, but I have no idea who it might be.  Gut is telling me it's more of a blues record than a Jazz record.  Something about the bass has me thinking Milt Hinton.

WELL, YOU COULD BE RIGHT ABOUT HINTON; THE ACCOMPANISTS ARE UNIDENTIFIED.

Track 06 - I like the singer's voice, but the stiffness of the rhythm (clearly intentional) is grating. 

Track 07 - Obvious guess is Horace Silver, but I have absolutely SIFTED my HS collection and this is not there.  Could be he's a sideman (maybe for the bassist?) but I'm whiffing on this one.

ONE OF THE GREAT OVERLOOKED GEEZERS, THIS IS.

Track 08 - Aaaaw, yeah!  My first thought was Lee Morgan, but that's an older sound (balls out playing!).  Ah!  There's Oliver Nelson.  Sometimes, he didn't seem all that funky, this is not one of those times.:)  George Tucker, for sure -- nobody lays down that walk like that.  AH!  Got it!  It's Track 2 from this.  I should have gotten the drummer, too.  Trumpet player is a favorite, and completely under appreciated.

FUNNILY ENOUGH, IT'S NOT EXACTLY FROM THAT, BUT NEARLY SO.

Track 09 - Very interesting, but no idea what it is.  I recently watched The Godfather again, and a couple of tracks here brought me to the wedding scene, but on a more musical level.  I know this alto player, but it's not clicking for me. Could be Fathead, but doesn't seem strong enough (meaning the tone, not the music).  I like this, but I feel very guilty about it. :D

Track 10 - Huh... I assumed this was the outchorus of the previous song and it threw me off.  I assume this is a soundtrack.

NOT A SOUNDTRACK. FOR INCOMPREHENSIBLE REASONS, THAT DID THIS DELIBERATELY.

Track 11 - This!  All day long!!!!  I haven't lobbed a Gene Harris guess out there, yet, so here it is.  I could get lost in this for a long time. MUST have.

Track 12 - AAAAAW YEAH!!!  I swear this just showed up somewhere else recently, but I'm not placing what it was.  I was thinking Joe Lee Wilson, but then the vocals didn't come in.  Open chords have me thinking Harold Mabern, and whenever I do that, I'm dead wrong, so there's that.  I am enough of a cheeseball that this knocks me out.  I mean, it's *so* Kojak, but it just works.  I *swear* I know this, but I can't get it.  My wife is laughing at me.

I SUSPECT YOU'LL LAUGH AT YOURSELF AT THE END OF THE MONTH.

Track 13 - I should NOT like this as much as I do.  It's got that high school Jazz band from the 1970s feel, but it TOTALLY freakin' works!  LOVE it!  I want more of this.  My ears aren't bleeding, so it's not Maynard, but that's the era I'm thinking of.  Because of the mellow quality of the horns, I want to lean Mike Westbrook, but it seems too straight ahead (meaning no electronica).  I'm diggin' it!

MUSIC DEFINITELY HITS DIFFERENT PEOPLE DIFFERENTLY. i'D NEVER HAVE THOUGHT OF MAYNARD AND THE NAME WESTBROOK IS SO FAR AWAY FROM MY CONCERNS, HE'S NOT ON THE SAME PLANET. BUT i CAN GET THE ROUTE THIS IS REACHING YOU BY, SURPRISING TO ME THOUGH IT IS.

Track 14 - To paraphrase one of my favorite lines from Hi Fidelity, "Is that James F***ing Taylor?"  Alto is biting the phrasing a bit hard.  Could be George Braith -- he has a tendency to do that.  Yeah, this one is kind of suffering from the things that should have bugged me more about the previous string.  Alto is too scoopy.  If it's a heavy hitter, it's an off day.  

Lots of goodies in this.  Can't wait for the reveal so I can spend some more money that doesn't exist!

Wow... shocked that was Moody.  That one missed for me.  Still waiting to see some of those 70s tunes get ID'd.  Perhaps I've had too much pecan pie.

GLAD YOU ENJOYED IT, THOM.

MG

The only thing I'm trying to figure out is #9, just because if it's not Lou Donaldson, I don't know who else would be so lazy/cynical/whatever as to run all those overt bebop licks that have nothing to do with the cut (not that the cut itself has a lot to do with anything). Guitarist reminds of Phil Upchurch once I listen. But it's the alto player that the attention-grabber here, just not for any good reason. I would think Jerome Richardson on a Quincy Jones album, and maybe that's Harvey Mason, so hell if I know.

Now, Sonny Stitt would be that lazy, especially on those diminished chords, but lord, I've heard Sonny Sttitt be disinterested, but never THIS disinterested, and the tone is really not Stitt's.

omg, that is Sonny Stitt, I thought that "classical" melody sounded familiar...

Ok, everything else, that RVG piano trio will get figured out by somebody. My work here is done.

Listening to a few other cuts off that record, solid grooves, a Pee Wee Ellis joint, but geez, Sonny Stitt did not have to be on that record (and sounds like he maybe had other plans for the day)...Grover Washington would have added more to it than he did. Hell, maybe even Lou Donaldson would have too. :g

Seriously, Tornado is better than this, This is like, ok we got tracks, now who can we get to play over them? Stitt? Yeah, ok, Stitt'll play on any damn thing. Get Dtitt in her tomorrow, we got a few hours free, cool, let's make a Stitt record, he owes us one anyway. Go to the bank, get the cash, let's do it.

Sam Brown on guitar? Really now, that's a bit of an unexpected thing! And Will Lee...people forget that before he was such a schmuck, Will Lee had cred. But Sam Brown, wow! Not Phil Upchurch, Sam Brown, RIP.

s-l1600.jpg

3 hours ago, Spontooneous said:

Enjoying the BFT, despite my online silence. 

The only one I got straightaway was Phineas, and I see I'm not alone on that. 

The composition behind tracks 9/10 is the Bachianas Brasilieras No. 5 of Villa-Lobos. This sounds like an interpretation out of CTI land, or GRP land. 

Yeah, this is like Sonny Stiff meets Deodato and they didn't like each other much. 

Truly, I was trying to see if I could fool Jim on Sonny Stiff, and did!!!

MG

On 25/11/2017 at 10:30 AM, Dan Gould said:

Regarding MP3s vs MP4s, I'm at a loss as to how that even happens in Thom's set-up. I've always been told to provide an audio CD-formatted CDR; he does the extraction. 

I don't send Thom a CDR. I upload stuff to the web and send him a link.

MG

On 24/11/2017 at 0:57 AM, Hot Ptah said:

I was so taken with Track 14 that I cheated and did some internet investigation. It is James Moody from his 1973 album “Sax and Flute Man” on the Paula label. I was not familiar with the album. I have many Moody albums and saw him live several times and have not heard him play this soulfully before.

Thinking about it, I remembered that the Moody stuff I really like a lot (nearly as much as this) is on Dizzy Gillespie's 'Swing low, sweet Cadillac'. Have you heard that one? It's a lot better known.

MG

2 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Truly, I was trying to see if I could fool Jim on Sonny Stiff, and did!!!

At first, yeah. But when I got down to it on Saturday, the combination of extreme fluency and extreme indifference made it pretty easy to track down.

With Pee Wee Elllis at the helm, it's like a lost Kudu track, one that was probably lost on purpose...